We made it through winter and as I look out my dining room window, my tulip are blooming, the iris stalks stand high, the peony stems stand straight and tall like soldiers – buds will soon follow! The rose bushes are awake, full with brand new green-red stalks and buds; the hydrangeas have been pruned and a few chartreuse-green leaves have sprouted, the lilies have broken through the dirt – in other words, Spring has finally, finally arrived! Can we all just say a collective ‘Hallelujah!’
With this next week’s temperatures hitting the upper 70s and full sun, I’m itching to put some seeds in the edible garden: chard, spinach, kale, radishes and sweet spring peas – which brings me to this recipe.
Sabra’s Lemon Twist Hummus is my personal favorite; bright, lemony without being sweet or tart, it’s the perfect backdrop to add a lovely spring pesto topping – and the gremolata with additional lemon zest, parsley and finely chopped garlic really brings the lemon flavor home.
The Professor and I cook together almost every night and one of the nice things about having hummus in our refrigerator, is that it makes for a great nibble as dinner preparations are under way. You can adopt this tradition at home by pulling out your favorite hummus, gathering a few seasonal veggies or your favorite crudité, add a few crostini, pour a refreshing cocktail and enjoy connecting with family.
Disclosure: I am being compensated for sharing Sabra products with our readers; however, everything I write here are my own words, my own opinion, and my own experiences.
NOTE: This recipe makes more than enough pea pesto for the topping; we used the remaining pesto to dress some pasta for lunch or dinner or you can spread on toast for a very tasty breakfast!
LEMON TWIST HUMMUS WITH SPRING PEA PESTO & GREMOLATA
Makes approximately 1-1/2 cups pesto
- 1-1/2 cups fresh peas OR one 10-ounce package frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted and cooled
- ½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 container Sabra Lemon Twist Hummus
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Blend peas, garlic, pine nuts and parmesan cheese and salt in the work bowl of a food processor until smooth – about 2-3 minutes, scraping down the bowl as necessary
- With the machine running, drizzle in the olive oil until well blended
- Top Sabra Lemon Twist Hummus with 2-3 Tablespoons of pesto, sprinkle with 1-2 teaspoons gremolata, drizzle with a bit more olive oil and serve with your favorite spring vegetables, crostini bagel chips or dippers of your choice.
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsely
- Zest from one lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Rough chop parsley, add lemon zest and garlic making a small pile on your board and finely chop the ingredients together
- Sprinkle 1-2 teaspoons on top of Sabra’s Lemon Twist Hummus and pea pesto
- Serve immediately