One last post for 2015; every year I get to the end of December and marvel at how fast the year sped by and then I scroll through my Instagram feed smiling at all the wonderful moments The Professor and I have experienced. Each year has brought us new adventures, new travel, new friends, new experiences – and 2016 promises to be another remarkable year.
We have spent many a New Year’s Eve going out to dinner with friends, having friends over to our home, partying with large crowds of strangers in hotels and clubs, going to the movie – all fun and a great way to ring in the new year; but our favorite way to celebrate is a quite dinner at home, just the two of us . . . and usually means we’re in bed by 10:30pm. I know, we’re such party animals. Try not to be jealous.
Regardless of how you celebrate, this caramelized onion-hummus dip is deeply satisfying and ridiculously easy to make; add store-bought chips warmed and sprinkled with your favorite seasonings, pour a glass of something sparkly and ring in the New Year – pajamas preferred.
Happy New Year friends ~
Disclosure: I am being compensated for sharing Sabra products with our readers; however, everything I write here are my own words, my own opinion, and my own experiences.
WARM CARAMELIZED ONION-HUMMUS DIP WITH SEASONED CHIPS
- 1 10-ounce container Sabra Classic Hummus
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced – about 1/2 cup that will cook down to about 1/4 cup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 10-ounce bag potato chips
- Various seasonings for chips – I used: parmesan cheese, rosemary, smoked paprika, sea salt, cracked black pepper
- In a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, butter and diced onions; stir until onions are coated and begin to soften
- Reduce heat to low and cook until onions are soft and caramelized, stirring occasionally making sure they do not burn – about 20 minutes; season with salt and pepper
- Warm hummus, place in a decorative bowl, top with onion mixture and serve alongside seasoned chips
FOR THE CHIPS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place chips in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until warm – about 3-5 minutes; remove and sprinkle with your choice of seasonings (see above for suggestions)
- Serve immediately