We eat a fair amount of salads in our house and I’m always looking for ways to change them up, to make them more interesting than say, lettuce, tomato, radish and cucumbers. This Gluten-Free Couscous Salad with Ripe Olives and Roasted Vegetables is a great addition to have in your repitoire.
While you can certainly enjoy this salad any time of year, it’s perfect when the weather is warm and makes a terrific side dish to burgers, hot dogs, chicken or barbecue; personally, I think it’s a meal all on its own – and it’s both vegetarian as well as vegan.
The coucous and vegetables are prepared ahead and cooled, so the rest of the salad comes together in under 20-minutes. Simply add a bit of red wine vinaigerette, fresh herbs, salt, pepper, black olives and capers and you have one of our favorite ‘must make recipes’ of the season – and no one will miss the gluten!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post and as always, all opinions are mine.
GLUTEN-FREE COUSCOUS SALAD W/OLIVES AND ROASTED VEGETABLES
Slightly adapted from Lindsay Olives
- 2 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, cut lengthwise in half
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded, quartered
- 10 garlic cloves, unpeeled still in their paper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups halved Lindsay® Ripe Pitted Olives
- 8 cups prepared gluten-free couscous, chilled (I used Lundberg brand)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- juice of fresh lemon (about 3 Tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup drained Lindsay® Capers
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Arrange zucchini, leeks, red pepper and garlic on a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet
- Drizzle 1/4 cup olive oil and sprinkle salt, pepper and red pepper flakes over vegetables, toss well; bake until vegetables are tender, 35 to 40 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine olives, couscous, olive oil, lemon juice, thyme and rosemary; mix well
- Cool vegetables and cut into 1/2-inch dice; chop garlic; add vegetables to couscous mixture and toss well
- Chill at least 30 minutes or overnight before serving