If you’ve never made marshmallows at home, you’re in for a treat! And the best part? You make them with five ingredients, they come together in less than 30 minutes and while you’re waiting for them to set up, you have plenty of time to work on other projects . . .
Take a peek . . .
These make wonderful gifts tucked away in a mug or packaged with hot cocoa mix; our family still talks about the marshmallows we gave more than two years ago!
Teensy bit adapted from Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa Family Style
- 3 packages unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Red or Pink Icing gel – less than a pinhead amount – a little goes a long way!!
- With a sieve, generously dust a 9×13 glass baking dish with powdered sugar and set aside
- Combine the gelatin and ½-cup cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow to sit while making the syrup (don’t whip)
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup salt and ½-cup water in a small saucepan, whisk and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Once sugar has dissolved, stop whisking, raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 238 degrees on a candy thermometer; remove from heat and with the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Turn the mixer to high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 10-15 minutes (mine took about 8 minutes or so, but I have a heavy-duty stand mixer)
- Add the peppermint extract and the tiniest speck of pink decorating gel; mix thoroughly
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into prepared dusted glass baking dish; dust marshmallow top with more powdered sugar. Coat a rubber spatula with a small amount of cooking spray and smooth the top
- Allow to stand uncovered for several hours until it dries out – overnight works best
- Turn the marshmallows onto a board and cut them into squares; dust with more confectioners’ sugar
- Place into bags or jars for gifts or enjoy with hot cocoa like we did!