ZA’ATAR-SPICED BEET DIP

Post image for ZA’ATAR-SPICED BEET DIP

by Debra on September 6, 2012

Musical pairing – Multiply by Jamie Lidell

There are two kinds of ‘beet’ camp – lover or hater . . . there just doesn’t appear to be an ‘in between’ . . . and we fall squarely in the lover camp. I must admit that eating ‘pickled’ or ‘sweet’ from a can was my beet of choice as a child; in fact, I’m not sure I even knew what a ‘whole-beet-from-the-garden’ looked like until I was an adult.

The Professor and I have planted rows of heirloom beets in our garden and we pick them up at our local Farmer’s Market nearly every week for as long as they’re in season. Roasted, pickled, grated raw in salads, beets are in our top-10 list of favorite veggies. Cooked and mashed, beets can be added to cakes or pancakes. And we’ve been known to enjoy a smoothie for breakfast every now and again.

This beet dip caught my eye because of it’s drop-dead gorgeous color; but the sweet-spicy flavor of chiles and maple syrup pairs beautifully with the scallion and the tang of the goat cheese; the herbiness of za’atar brings it all together – I’m already planning to make this again for our holiday table!

© 2012, Debra. All rights reserved.

Mairi @ Toast September 15, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Wow….that colour is just incredible & that’s before you get to all those wonderful flavours.

Jenna@LittleKitchenBigFlavors September 7, 2012 at 5:16 pm

So I’ve never been a lover of beets, but I am getting a ton of them in our CSA share, so I am always looking for new ways to use them. How beet-y is the flavor?

Debra September 10, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Hi Jenna ~ There is definitely an earthiness to this recipe so I’d say yes, a beet flavor; however, it is balanced with the the maple syrup and the goat cheese. We really like this recipe . . . but we fall into the beet ‘lover’ category!

Betty Ann @Mango_Queen September 7, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I love beets but have never been more adventurous than adding them to salads. You’ve opened my eyes and my belly to something more in this post. I can’t wait to try this recipe for spiced beet dip. Thanks for sharing, Smithbites!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch September 7, 2012 at 11:19 am

Just look at that COLOR! Gorgeous!!! And you know, I just happen to have some beets! Hurrah!

Kristen September 7, 2012 at 11:15 am

Oh wow you two – this is so beautiful!

Isabelle @ Crumb September 7, 2012 at 9:16 am

Oh wow… that colour is just UNREAL!
I too didn’t experience my first real, honest-to-goodness, not-from-a-can beet until I was a grownup. So much better than the mushy tinned beets my mom used to make us eat when I was little. Urgh.
I may have to pick up a bunch of beets at the market this weekend just so I can make this dip for myself. I just can’t get over how beautiful it is.

bridget {bake at 350} September 7, 2012 at 9:08 am

Oh, wow! That dip is GORGEOUS!!!

Jaime aka The Tomato Snob September 6, 2012 at 11:47 pm

This looks awesome! I will definitely be trying this recipe.
Chow for now Jaime aka The Tomato Snob

Brian September 6, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I’m a lover too… Always have been. I jut love the sound of this dip… And that color is so vibrant! Amazing!

Rivki Silver September 6, 2012 at 10:50 pm

This looks super delicious! We love beets over here, though we have to watch it with the little ones! I also love za’atar, so this recipe is a must for me!

elizabeth September 6, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I’m a “I like beets with the right ingredients” girl, which probably puts me more on the “hate” side of the spectrum rather than the “like” side.

I bet this dip would go really, really well with Cabrales (a Spanish blue cheese).

Sarah September 6, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Wow, this is so beautiful-such intense color. With yogurt, za’atar and beets, I know I would love it too.

Stephanie September 6, 2012 at 1:40 pm

That’s beautiful!

Rachel (Hounds in the Kitchen) September 6, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I am firmly in the beet lover camp and must try this recipe soon. Thanks for the idea!

Maria September 6, 2012 at 9:04 am

What a pretty and tasty dip!