ROASTED RHUBARB AND PINK PEPPERCORN COMPOTE

Post image for ROASTED RHUBARB AND PINK PEPPERCORN COMPOTE

by Debra on May 23, 2012

Musical pairing – Glitter In The Air by Pink

My mother used to make quite a few of our family meals in a large, silver, Waring Dutch oven: Sunday pot roast, soups, spaghetti sauce, boiled potatoes for potato salad and many more dishes that escape my memory at the moment. But one of my favorites was rhubarb compote – although my 10-year-old self didn’t call it ‘compote’ – my 10-year-old self wasn’t as sophisticated back then (said tongue-in-cheek) – it was simply ‘cooked rhubarb.’

Rhubarb grew wild along the fence of our Little House on Ankeny Street – I have no idea who planted it originally or how long the plants had been there but every spring, those giant leaves would be whacked off with a large kitchen knife and the chartreuse green and red stems would be hosed down outside, then carried to the galley-style kitchen, chopped into smaller pieces and tossed into that silver Dutch oven. My mother would add sugar and water, place the domed lid askew on the pot for a bit and cook the rhubarb until it was squishy-soft and falling apart. The tangy scent of rhubarb blending with cooked sugar was hard to resist and I can remember sneaking a spoonful (or two) somewhere along in the process.

Mom would make at least one Strawberry-Rhubarb pie during the season because it was Dad’s favorite, but most of the time we scooped spoonfuls of the pretty, pinkish, sticky-sweet mixture into bowls for dessert. Fast-forward many years and every Spring, I can’t seem to get enough rhubarb even though we have several plants growing in our very own garden. My impatience has caused me to pay more than $3 a pound for the deep ruby stalks beckoning from their residence on the produce shelves. I usually make a batch of jam and at least one Strawberry-Rhubarb pie in honor of Dad but I find that I still enjoy a couple of scoops straight into a bowl for a snack or an after dinner dessert.

I prefer roasting the rhubarb in the oven versus stove top; the finished compote has a more intense rhubarb flavor and oven roasting also allows the sugars to caramelize a bit – the tradeoff is less in volume but I think the overall flavor is worth it.

© 2012, Debra. All rights reserved.

Kerry May 29, 2012 at 8:02 am

Hoooooly moly, I would have never thought to put pink peppercorns in with rhubarb, but now I canNOT wait to get my hands on a batch!

Jamie May 29, 2012 at 7:44 am

Beautiful post, Deb. And it reminds me of a wonderful Prairie Home Companion episode about – and called – Rhubarb Pie. You should try and find it. My dad used to make Dried Fruit Compote – and oddly enough we did call it compote – out of prunes and dried apricots and it was heavenly. An odd thing for a small child to have as her favorite dessert. Maybe it has something to do with the love that a parent put into it as you so perfectly describe?

Monet May 27, 2012 at 9:45 am

Love these recollections about rhubarb…and I want to make a pie now. Thank you for sharing with me…I’d love for you to visit my brand new website when you get the chance. I hope you have a beautiful day.

Debi Shawcross May 25, 2012 at 8:20 am

…with goat cheese and toasted bread ;-) love rhubarb!

Meeta May 25, 2012 at 3:09 am

I love rhubarb and love adding a fiery flavor to spike it up. Red peppercorns here are awesome!

Paula May 23, 2012 at 5:06 pm

To be honest, I’m not a big fan of rhubarb. Funny, I ate it as a child but now I don’t. My sister on the other hand loves the stuff and I’m going to send her this recipe as I think she’d really enjoy it. Also, I did not know of pink peppercorns. Wherever did you find them as I’ve never seen them in my supermarkets here.

Debra May 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Paula ~ I found these pink peppercorns at Williams Sonoma – they were on their clearance table or I probably wouldn’t have purchased them as they can be kinda spendy. But I’ve also seen them at Penzey’s Spices as well as some Sur La Table locations. I really love their flavor!

Amy May 23, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I’ve yet to make a rhubarb pie of any kind, but I should, soon. This roasted recipe looks like a quick fix until I get around to making the pie.

Debra May 23, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I’d encourage you to give a rhubarb pie a go – one of my very favorite pies to make in the spring . . . well truth be told, i love pie any time of year!

Gail May 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm

This is absolutely gorgeous! LOVE THIS RECIPE!!

Debra May 23, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Thanks Gail – it is a favorite of mine; but also admit that it may have something to do with nostalgia!

sippitysup May 23, 2012 at 11:49 am

It’s the pink peppercorns that grow wild in my yard! What a team we’d make! GREG

Debra May 23, 2012 at 7:38 pm

you are sooooooo lucky Greg!

{ 1 trackback }