BROCCOLINI & GOAT CHEESE FRITTATA

Post image for BROCCOLINI & GOAT CHEESE FRITTATA

by Debra on April 16, 2012

Musical pairing – Easy by Rascal Flatts

I’m pretty sure even those who love to cook or bake want to push the Easy Button every once in a while; it happens here in my kitchen too. Even though I have an office at home, I still have clients to service, phone calls to make, emails to respond to, bills to pay, invoicing to send out, mail to drop, yadda-yadda-yadda. And like the rest of you, I juggle all of that and then some amongst the laundry, running the sweeper, grocery shopping and cleaning the toilets – ah yes, Cinderella, I do live a glamorous life (said very much tongue-in-cheek).

While a quick run to a drive-thru or eating chips and salsa while standing at the kitchen counter and calling it a day might be tempting, we pull out a few easy-peasy go-to recipes like this frittata – something most people might think of for breakfast or brunch but we rather enjoy ‘brinner’ . . . and honestly, you can whip a frittata together, slide it into the oven to bake and be sitting at the table in less than an hour . . . really.

Eggs are an inexpensive protein and if you’re lucky enough to have your own chickens, you’re likely to always have eggs on hand. Or if you’re like me, lucky enough to purchase eggs from a farm a couple miles down the road, then it’s simply a matter of looking to see what you might have on hand as potential fillings – especially if you have leftovers in your refrigerator that need using up: bits of onion, peppers, potatoes, olives, bacon, ham, sausage – we usually try to keep it vegetarian so I look for something green like this broccolini and go from there. Add a little milk, half-and-half or cream, whatever cheese you like, salt and pepper – throw everything into a pie plate or cast iron skillet (no crust required) and bake for about 25 minutes – done!

While the frittata is baking, set your table, light a few candles, turn off the television and cell phone, turn on some nice background music, add a few tossed greens lightly dressed with a simple vinaigrette and pour yourself a glass of wine. Leftovers at our house are packaged up for The Professor’s lunch the next day – another real plus – one less thing I need to think about.

Now that we have that solved, how about an Easy Button for the rest of my ‘to-do’ list . . .

You might also like:

Greek Pepper & Onion Frittata by Aggie’s Kitchen
Wild Mushroom & Goat Cheese Frittata by A Spicy Perspective
Spinach, Mushroom & Red Bell Pepper Frittata by Bev Cooks
Squash & Pecorino Frittata by Smith Bites
Baby Peas and Cheese Frittata by Family Fresh Cooking

© 2012, Debra. All rights reserved.

FramedCooks April 28, 2012 at 7:16 am

Goat cheese frittata AND Rascal Flatts? I’m pretty sure I need to move into your kitchen. :)

Debra April 30, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Kate ~ i think you and i need to cook together at some point; we’d eat quite well!

Monet April 24, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Yes. There is nothing like eggs to make dinner or breakfast simple. This looks so delicious, my friend. I’m sorry I’ve been so absent around here. I’ve been swamped with work and school. But, as always, your post made me smile and my stomach growl!

elizabeth April 22, 2012 at 10:42 am

Frittatas (like tortillas) are actually meant to be eaten for dinner in Italy, but I think we have a very strong eggs=breakfast/brunch mentality here in the States. If you have leftover frittata, putting a slice or two between two pieces of toast makes one of the best sandwiches ever.

Looks lovely!

Barbara April 21, 2012 at 10:28 am

Frittatas are not only the answer to a quick meal, but it uses up leftovers too. Love them. This looks so good, Debra.

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate April 21, 2012 at 8:08 am

We adore frittatas. We often make them for the kids lunch. You are correct when you said they are easy but you didn’t use the, overused but perfect in this case, word delicious.

Of course, I want an easy button too! Someone gave a friend one, but it doesn’t seem to work :(

Sara @OneTribeGourmet April 18, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Frittatas are my favorite and so versatile..you can have them for brekkie, lunch, and dinner with a side salad! Your lovely frittata recipe sounds so healthy & tasty!

Amy April 18, 2012 at 9:40 am

This does look perfectly simple without losing taste. AND a good meal that deserves turning off the distractions. ; )

Villy @ For the love of Feeding April 18, 2012 at 3:58 am

Simple and amazing!

Marla April 17, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I adore you, this recipe, fritattas & Brinner. Thanks for the link love :)

Bev Weidner April 17, 2012 at 9:38 am

Ohhhhh my gosh. That looks simply increeeeedible. Thank you for the link up!

Cassie April 17, 2012 at 9:14 am

What a combo of ingredients. I love everything about this! I love the musical pairing. Turning off the TV and phone sound marvelous and the thought of enjoying this over a quiet glass of wine makes me giddy. Love this post!

Paula April 17, 2012 at 9:08 am

Love frittatas but usually only think to make them for breakfast and only when I’m having overnight guests. Thanks for the reminder that they make a quick brinner as well. Yours looks lovely and I love the pictures of the chickens :)

Jamie April 17, 2012 at 8:22 am

A simple meal like this is absolutely the best and most perfect! Yes, I also live that glamorous Cinderella life and every meal is of the easy-peasy variety (happily I married Prince Charming who makes the time-consuming meals :-) and a frittata is certainly a fabulous meal, especially because eggs are so happy with such a variety of mates. Love the goat cheese and broccolini combo though. Gonna do this this week! x

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective April 16, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Debra, i love the sounds of this frittata and your idea of powering-down and pouring wine. Sigh… I need to do that more often!

foodwanderings April 16, 2012 at 8:01 pm

De-licious. I am with you there with a super nutritious delicious low labor dinner. Tonight is one of those days as we are getting taxes in down to the wire. Long time my friend.