A SNEAK-PEAK & A BIT OF AMISH COUNTRY

Post image for A SNEAK-PEAK & A BIT OF AMISH COUNTRY

by Debra on March 13, 2012

The Professor and I just returned from a trip to Ohio and although we were on the road quite a bit, we couldn’t have asked for a more enjoyable four days spent with a terrific group of people.

We wanted to give you a teensy taste of what’s to come over the next couple of weeks and by the time we’re finished we hope you’ll hop in the car or book a flight because there is something for everyone.

Buggies rule in Amish Country; we enjoyed a ride in the rain with a young Amish mother and gardener who gave us a tip on how to grown nice straight, fat carrots: make a mound of dirt and flatten the top down; scatter your seeds and when those seeds begin to sprout, take a wide-tooth rake through the whole lot. It might look like you’ve pulled them all up but in the end you’ll have a crop of big, fat lovely carrots!

We saw plenty of clothes drying the old-fashioned way – the sun! I don’t know about you, but I think there’s nothing better than bedsheets that are lined dried – the fresh scent alone is enough to have me dreaming of summers in a hammock with a good book.

And of course there are plenty of bakeries scattered about – you never know when the urge might strike and you simply must have a freshly baked hand-pie or a sweet roll!

For religious reasons, the Amish don’t like to have their picture taken and we were trying to be very careful and respectful of that request; on our buggy ride, our driver told us that they would be milking cows in the barn and to have our camera ready. As we clip-clopped past the open barn door, The Professor thought he was taking a picture of cows but alas, this little guy was standing in the doorway.

Look at the size of that Whoopie Pie she’s making!

Pretty jars of preserves – some have little decorated hats while others don’t – but they all taste good!

That’s it for now but we do have so much more to share with you; 3 great inns: Inn at Honey Run, The Inn at Cedar Falls and Murphin Ridge Inn . . . each having its own vibe, each in a different part of Ohio . . . each with a story to tell . . . oh, and did I mention that they all have spectacular food? Hold on to your hats because that’s when it gets really exciting!

© 2012, Debra. All rights reserved.

shelly (cookies and cups) March 19, 2012 at 9:12 am

That last picture is gorgeous! We live a few hours from Lancaster, PA and go over once in a while. I wish I was more patient with the buggies. Generally I just drive behind them, tailgating. You’d think I would prepare myself better :)

sippitysup March 16, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I must have that Rainy Buggy photo. I love it, almost as much as I love getting to know you and the Prof better in Amish country. Great trip, huh? GREG

Dana B March 14, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Great pics, both of the food and the Amish. That pastry looks soooo mouthwatering delicious :)

Jane Bonacci - The Heritage Cook March 14, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Stunning photos you two! Makes me miss the trip even more and all of our new friends!

Susan March 14, 2012 at 11:33 am

WOW! You have truly captured the essence of Amish Country in Ohio in March! Rainy and yet beautiful…it is hard to believe that exists in Ohio…Thank you!

Irvin @ Eat the Love March 14, 2012 at 5:23 am

Love these photos! I’m already nostalgic for that trip…and wish I could go back for more. Thanks for sharing (and so fast too!)

Sheila March 13, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Breathtaking. I am fascinated by the Amish people and their culture. Cant wait to hear what else you have to share.

Amy March 13, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Lovely Deb! Can’t wait to see what you share next.

Georgia Pellegrini March 13, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Amazing. Love, love, love times infinity. I can’t wait to see more.

Sally March 13, 2012 at 3:21 pm

What great photos. Glad you had a good time. Another lovely place to stay is the Charm Countryview Inn. Quite a view of the countryside from the front porch! Great food and hospitality too!

Debra March 13, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Thank you Sally – and thanks for the tip on Charm Countryview Inn – will be sure to check them out!

Brian @ A Thought For Food March 13, 2012 at 2:58 pm

You got some lovely shots there! Can’t wait to see more!

Debra March 13, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Thanks Brian – am looking forward to seeing everyone’s photos – I think we all shot some really nice photographs!