GOAT CHEESE & PISTACHIO STUFFED DATES

Post image for GOAT CHEESE & PISTACHIO STUFFED DATES

by Debra on November 14, 2011

There was a time when I wouldn’t give dates a second look . . . not that kind of date! My mother would bake a date cake occasionally that required the purchase of, I believe, a yellow and red box of diced up date bits, then added to the usual suspects of flour, sugar, butter, eggs and spices . . . but I don’t recall what it tastes like . . . mainly because I don’t recall ever having a piece of it . . . dates were suspect in my 10-year-old mind . . .

Fast forward more than a few years and I’ve now seen the errors of my ways . . . dates are one of those treats we always seem to have on hand. In fact, you’ll find two or three Medjool dates packed in The Professor’s lunch almost every week; I’ll add a few walnut halves to the mix and he has a healthy mid-morning snack between classes.

I bet you didn’t know that 70 percent of the US Medjool date crop is grown by a dozen family farmers right in Bard Valley, California . . . and I’m going to bet you didn’t know that Bard Valley Natural Delights Medjool Dates, aka Natural Delights for short, are hand-pollinated, hand-thinned and hand-picked . . . you did? Well I didn’t. But as I said, up until the last few years, dates were flying under my radar.

And if you haven’t seen the new Natural Delights Pistachio Rolls, Coconut Rolls or Almond Rolls, be sure to seek them out – they are fabulous and ready to place on a cocktail tray straight from the package . . .

Speaking of cocktails . . . Medjool dates can be used in both sweet and savory recipes and I thought that since the holidays are absolutely, positively here people . . . you might enjoy these little appetizers to serve at your next holiday party. Stuffed with creamy goat cheese, crunchy pistachios with a hint of mild onion and pepper, these bite-sized wonders pair quite nicely with a glass of bubbly . . . cheers!

Disclaimer: The nice folks from Bards Valley sent me a lovely box of Medjool dates to sample; While I am not being compensated for this post, the opinions are strictly my own.

cat @ neohomesteading.com January 9, 2012 at 7:22 pm

These sound so simple and delicious!

lauren @ the talking kitchen November 19, 2011 at 10:50 am

i eat dates and walnuts or dates and pistachios every day as a mid morning snack. now all i have to do is stuff some goat cheese in there and we’ll call it a day. what a great idea! thanks for sharing!

Jeff @ Cheese-Burger.net November 19, 2011 at 6:18 am

This recipe looks delicious. This will be great for parties.

Karriann Graf November 18, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Love dates and stuff is great….we like to stuff them with blue cheese!

shelly (cookies and cups) November 18, 2011 at 8:11 am

Dates have never been my thing either..I think I might need to give them a second try! Especially if they are stuffed with goat cheese!!

MikeVFMK November 16, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Debra, I love dates and goat cheese but it’s the addition of pistachios that really intrigue me. I love that combination and I can’t wait to make some for my next get together. Glad you love dates now! Thanks!

sippitysup November 16, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Redefines my idea of “date night” GREG

Nancy G. November 16, 2011 at 10:48 am

Great idea, but what I am really interested in is what’s in the glass?

Beautiful pictures as always.

Monet November 15, 2011 at 11:05 pm

What a perfect appetizer. I’m a huge fan of dates…and pistachios…and yes, goat cheese! These couldn’t be better. Thank you for sharing another great recipe with me! I Hope you are having a wonderful Tuesday night. Much love.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen November 15, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Dates are a favorite in our house too, we;ve always got some to snack on.

Brian November 15, 2011 at 11:33 am

I saw this recipe when I first went through MS’s book and immediately started drooling! What a great party snack!

Tickled Red November 15, 2011 at 11:16 am

Dates have always flown under my radar as well but you have me intrigued, so I’m game now ;D

Amy November 15, 2011 at 11:04 am

You’re totally making me hungry. Quite honestly, I’ve never been a date fan, but I’ve never ever thought about this combo and just adding a walnut for a snack? Randy would lurve those for snacks. And sooooo easy too.

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme November 15, 2011 at 10:01 am

What a perfect little appetizer! Sweet and salty and savory all wrapped up in one bite-size package. Tucking this recipe away for the holidays!

BrendaB November 14, 2011 at 9:34 pm

What is that lovely cocktail?

Debra November 15, 2011 at 11:03 am

Brenda ~ that is a St. Germaine Sour . . . and really, really good!

Barbara | Creative Culinary November 15, 2011 at 12:56 pm

These sound perfect; I’ve put them all together in a crostini but this is even simpler. YUM it is Deb.

I love St Germain and beyond the fabulous product, don’t they have just the MOST beautiful bottles?

Debra November 15, 2011 at 1:32 pm

YES!! the bottles are GORGEOUS Barb! I’m trying to figure out if I can do something with the lid . . . it is stunning!

sreelu November 14, 2011 at 9:29 pm

What a beautiful coincidence, just brought a box of dates from costco and this will make for a perfect appetizer or dessert for my thanksgiving dinner.