BLOOMINGTON BITES: CRUSTLESS LEEK & KALE QUICHE

Post image for BLOOMINGTON BITES: CRUSTLESS LEEK & KALE QUICHE

by Avery on August 1, 2011

‘FARMER’S MARKET PANTRY’ - In the good tradition of many food blogs––like, say, Smitten Kitchen––I’ve gotten some experience this summer doing small-kitchen cooking. My girlfriend is subletting an apartment with a kitchen that, while not exactly claustrophobic, is certainly not palatial, and requires a lot of cooking that looks more like some sort of intricately choreographed dance. But the smallness of the kitchen doesn’t mean we can’t cook and, what’s more, has caused us to realize all over again that sometimes it’s what’s outside of the kitchen that’s the most important. When we’re at the apartment, after all, we can walk to the farmer’s market. It’s a long walk, but one filled with beautiful early morning sights and smells, and rewarded with a trip to the “pantry” far better than any we could experience in even the largest, best-stocked kitchen.

Recently, we’ve been on a kale kick. Having found a favorite kale vendor, we return week after week to buy huge bags of kale for a mere three dollars before stocking up on tomatoes and peaches, and performing very important research on the precise difference between a sticky bun and a cinnamon roll. But after a few weeks of kale, we were needing ideas as to how we could prepare it––besides steaming or sauteeing it. Which brings us to the entrance of Vegetarian Times’ Farmer’s Market edition, saving the day yet again with its elegant swiss chard quiche. Never having made a quiche before, we were a little unsure of ourselves. But the recipe’s simplicity (the quiche doesn’t include a crust, but instead has an easy sprinkling of breadcrumbs on top) put us at ease, and the thrill of using so many ingredients from our own farmer’s market pantry: kale (in place of the swiss chard), eggs, goat cheese, and leeks.

The recipe is effortless and beautiful, and results in a dish from a half-hour of cooking in a tiny kitchen that looks like it could have been cooked in a restaurant.

Avery Olund-Smith is going into her sophomore year at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana, where’s she’s studying English. She’s from Cincinnati, Ohio, where she attended the School for Creative and Performing Arts. She loves biking to Findlay Market and writing with the Cincinnati organization Women Writing for (a) Change, and considers food, writing, reading, and the beauties of both the city and the natural world amongst her passions.

© 2011, Avery. All rights reserved.

Cookin4two November 14, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I made this quiche and it turned out very tasty. Crustless quiche is so enjoyable to eat and the ingredients went really well together. The only problem I had was that I made half a batch (just as a side for two) and there didn’t seem to be enough egg mixture to give the right thickness. Otherwise – highly recommend, and it freezes well.

Debra November 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm

i haven’t tried to make half a recipe but i would think you’d still probably need the same amount of egg for the reason you’ve listed; OR you could try a halving it and baking in a smaller dish? thanks for the input – always welcomed!

Cookin4two November 16, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Thanks Debra! I did use a smaller dish but I agree – the same amount of egg would probably help.

Beth August 14, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I saw “Bloomington” and immediately clicked! I just graduated from IU and spent many mornings at that farmer’s market. I’m so glad you’re loving it as much as I did and are having fun with it this summer, keep it up!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective August 11, 2011 at 10:48 am

Debra, I love that your blog is a family affair! This super veggie quiche looks amazing. :)

Debi Shawcross August 9, 2011 at 8:31 am

Making this for visiting friends Saturday morning—thanks for helping me plan the weekend menu!

Avery August 10, 2011 at 8:42 am

Hope it turns out just wonderfully!

megan @ whatmegansmaking August 4, 2011 at 9:01 am

This looks amazing. And it’s a great way to use up my CSA produce! I love quiche in any form :)

Brian @ A Thought For Food August 3, 2011 at 7:15 am

The great thing about kale is that it is not only incredibly tasty, but versatile as well. I’ve done many frittata with it and it is always scrumptious! Beautiful dish, Avery!

Monet August 2, 2011 at 11:58 pm

We have been a kale kick too, and I love how fresh and simple this dish looks. Thank you for sharing yourself and your delicious summer eats. I hope you had a great day today, and I hope you have an even better day tomorrow. Hugs and love from Austin!

Deb August 2, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Marvelous photos. I often find kale with yellow or red ribs at our Farmer’s Market which are lovely in a stir fry or sauté. But your quiche is inspiring.

Avery August 10, 2011 at 8:41 am

I will have to look for this! I go crazy over chard in beautiful colors, but have never seen multi-colored kale– it sounds like quite a find! Thanks for the head’s up.

marla {family fresh cooking} August 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Since I am kinda a low carb kinda gal I love the idea of crustless quiche!

Feast on the Cheap August 2, 2011 at 5:03 pm

This looks so delicious! I have to try it out…

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. August 2, 2011 at 1:35 pm

This look fantastic! I want some now

Jeanne @ CookSister! August 2, 2011 at 10:12 am

Oh – I LOVE the look of this! The market sounds like a treat… I am also a huge fan of kale – I have on occasion chopped it finely, steamed it and then used it in a risotto with plenty of Parmesan. Yum!

Avery August 10, 2011 at 8:43 am

Mmmm! That sounds incredible! I love kale with balsamic vinegar, and I know how well parmesan pairs with that…. sounds like kale risotto is my next endeavor!

Bev Weidner August 2, 2011 at 9:39 am

Oh my GOSH, this looks incredible. I’m tempted to slam my face into the computer screen but I don’t want to look like a total freak. Well, more of a freak than I already am.

making. this. soon.

Aggie August 2, 2011 at 9:34 am

oh my goodness, this looks delicious!!

Kathryn | Dramatic Pancake August 2, 2011 at 9:00 am

This looks amazing! I didn’t used to be a big kale fan, but I’ve come around big time. And I love how this doesn’t require a crust — the bread crumbs are a nice touch!

foodwanderings August 2, 2011 at 8:34 am

This quiche loks incredible and a favorite kale vendor?! I knew why I liked the series with Avery!!

Barefoot Pregnant And In The Kitchen August 2, 2011 at 7:52 am

Looks great! What a great easy brunch idea. I’ll have to make it this weekend… the goat cheese probably gives it a nice tang. YUM

Jeanette August 2, 2011 at 12:32 am

I love kale, so readily available in the farmer’s markets in the summertime, and although it seems it is not as popular as some of the other green vegetables, it is a nutrient powerhouse. This quiche recipe should make a convert out of most people who haven’t tried or are hesitant to try kale.