SQUASH & PECORINO FRITTATA

Post image for SQUASH & PECORINO FRITTATA

by Debra on July 12, 2011

Musical pairing – Time And Tide by Basia

Frittata’s are one of those recipes that really doesn’t have to be a recipe – primarily because you can make a frittata with nearly anything in your refrigerator . . . including little bits of leftovers.

Whip up a few eggs, add some milk or cream, salt, pepper and then let your imagination run wild; I usually shoot for some kind of green like broccoli, kale, or swiss chard and then go from there. Fingerling or other type of small potatoes, mushrooms, squash or green onions are always a hit and a variety of cheeses will work as well. And if you simply cannot do without meat, add some bacon lardons, ham or sausage crumbles – proscuitto works too.

Frittatas are super quick, no pie crust to mess with and can be served at room temperature – a plus during the summer months when you don’t want to turn your oven on during the day. Just cook the night before and refrigerate; the next day, set on the counter and let come to room temp – toss a little salad and you have a terrific lunch. And believe it or not, simple frittatas can be elegant enough for a fancy brunch or cocktail parties – what’s not to love about that?!

Here’s one of our favorites ~

Cheers!

**********

E @ Act Fast Chef July 24, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Oh yum! These looks divine, and the sour cream on top sounds like heaven :)

Shaina July 19, 2011 at 12:41 am

This looks absolutely amazing. I love frittatas for all the same reasons, and they are great “garbage disposals” at the end of the week, too.

Kim July 17, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Basia, nice.

With a handful of zucchinis and green onions from this morning’s pick, we ended up with a “green onion and zucchini” frittata. Creative, we know. ;-)

sippitysup July 14, 2011 at 5:42 pm

You say frittata bites. I say cocktail party! GREG

bridget {bake at 350} July 13, 2011 at 10:48 am

I love frittatas, too! And yours sounds delicious! Love the combo of flavors!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective July 13, 2011 at 10:07 am

Debra, I love that you can simply pick this frittata up with your hands! Perfect for a brunch.

shelly (cookies and cups) July 13, 2011 at 8:44 am

Can you believe I have never made a frittata? I need to get on the ball! Because easy is for me!

Jamie July 13, 2011 at 3:51 am

I think that a frittata and a salad is the ideal meal. I love the simplicity and the goodness and the fact that one can really flavor it as one pleases (or with whatever is in the fridge!). Love your oniony one!

Jeanette July 13, 2011 at 12:44 am

Debra – what a nice summertime nibble! Great way to use up any bits of veggies in the fridge.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen July 12, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Now you’ve got me in the mood for a frittata, I’m going to see how many eggs I’ve got hanging around in the fridge!

Monet July 12, 2011 at 11:22 pm

These would be such a hit at a party. We have friends over every weekend for bagels, and I think I’m going to make a batch of these next time. Thank you for sharing such a delightful recipe!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme July 12, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Oh, yummy, Deb! I do love a good frittata. Fantastic for any time of day!

Georgia Pellegrini July 12, 2011 at 7:41 pm

OMG! BASIA!!! You have transported me back to my youth, my very first live concert and I am now playing it and lip synching all around my hotel room. People are looking at me with their mouths agape but I don’t care, it’s Basia!!!

p.s. What ever happened to her?

Amy | She Wears Many Hats July 12, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Delish!!! If I leave now will you have 3 ready for me to pick up?

Elle July 12, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Three of my favorite things! Squash, pecorino, and frittatas! I can’t go wring with this one.

Maris(In Good Taste) July 12, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Love the simplicity and versatility of this recipe.

bunkycooks July 12, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I love almost anything with eggs and as you said, they are a great way to have a quick and easy meal.

Aggie July 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm

This looks so delicious!! Frittatas have saved me many a night, love this!

Barbara | Creative Culinary July 12, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Without a doubt, my first frittata came about because I wanted to make a quiche but didn’t want to make a piecrust. Enter frittata and my backyard garden and made in Heaven ensued!

Right now? Zucchini on counter I HAVE to use, eggs in fridge and a day cool enough to bake. Perfect timing for me Deb; sometimes I still need to be reminded. :)

The Rowdy Chowgirl July 12, 2011 at 11:39 am

Yummy!

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow July 12, 2011 at 10:03 am

Yum! that looks so delicious! I love frittata

Brian @ A Thought For Food July 12, 2011 at 9:48 am

Whenever I find myself with eggs that need to be used up, I always make a frittata… it’s not only a great way to use them, but you can also throw in your favorite veggies and cheese! This one looks beautiful!

{ 1 trackback }