52 sundays; july 24, 2011 – THE BARN PROJECT BEGINS

Post image for 52 sundays; july 24, 2011 – THE BARN PROJECT BEGINS

by Debra on July 24, 2011

So, I’ve been working on this project for about a month now and I’m kinda excited about it . . . at least I think I’m excited about it . . . no, I’m definitely excited about it . . .

Last week I told you about my barn obsession and quite a few of you shared that you too, have a barn obsession . . . now, you might be just trying to make me feel better about myself, I don’t know; however, even before some of you admitted to having the same addiction . . . er, obsession . . . I wanted to do a Barn Project.

Which means I want to take a year to photograph barns I come across in our every day experiences as well as in our travels and I’m wondering if you’d like to join me. I’ve created a Flicker account (hello 2011, I’ve just joined this millennium because I am certain I’m the only person on the planet who doesn’t have a Flicker account) and thought it might be fun if you wanted to share your barn photos too.

But I’d like to take it a couple steps further and say that at the end of each month, we’ll choose one barn photo as that month’s winner and that person receives a $25 Amazon gift card – paid for by me – I’m not being compensated in any way for this project. At the end of the year, we’ll feature those 12 photos in an upcoming calendar which would be sold for charity; each winning photo is given credit as well as a link to your blog (if you have one – not necessary to be a blogger to participate) and photos would be collected until July 31, 2012. No one will make a penny in profit for this project – everything above and beyond the cost of printing will be donated to charity.

Old barns, new barns, used barns, dilapidated barns, black barns, round barns, barn photos taken in summer, fall, winter, spring – post your favorites but limited to one submission each week of the month; and if possible, I’d like to know where the barn is located, i.e., State, City, County Road, etc.

Phew! This being my first group ‘venture’ I do hope I’ve covered all the bases but if anyone has questions, please ask – I hope you join me . . . otherwise, it’s going to be just me and The Professor taking photos . . . and that’s ok too . . . we’re still gonna love barns!

By the way, this ‘patchwork’ barn is located on County Road 1000 North, near Fortville – about 13 miles from where we live . . . I love it!

August is a great month to start photographing barns! Here’s the link: Link to Smith Bite’s Barn Project

virginia willis August 31, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Love love love this. I have a bunch of barn photos. My partner lives in barn heaven.
There are tobacco barns right now with tobacco drying in them and it’s just beautiful. Glad to see this. thank you. Best VA

Megan's Cookin' August 14, 2011 at 10:44 am

I love old barns and covered bridges. When I come across any cool barns, I’ll add to the project!

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies July 27, 2011 at 9:42 am

This is so fun! What a *great* project, you two!

Julie the Alkaline Sister July 27, 2011 at 2:22 am

Sounds like fun, I’ll put my blinders on and see what barns I can find in my neck of the woods! Think my kids are going to ban me from driving them past farm land since I’ll be veering off the road searching for good shots! I’ll have to behave!

Marla July 26, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I love this idea so much. I really intend to participate. Barns are a wonderful subject to photograph and the charity calendar is a wonderful & generous idea.

Wenderly July 26, 2011 at 12:57 pm

What a lovely idea Deb! I just love barns! This one is splendid!

Jamie July 26, 2011 at 9:00 am

I, too, have always been fascinated by barns… makes me wonder why. And I love the project! I must dig through old photos and see what I have. This one is so cool!

Lori @ Laurel of Leaves July 25, 2011 at 11:01 pm

What a cool idea for a project! I’ll be keeping my eye out for great barns while I’m traveling in New Zealand (and also once I’m back home in Tennessee). Can’t wait to see the final calendar next year!

bridget {bake at 350} July 25, 2011 at 6:34 pm

How cool!!!

Liren July 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Debra, I am so in love with this project and can’t wait to follow its progress. There are a handful of barns near me, now I have an excuse to snap my camera at them :)

Elle July 25, 2011 at 1:57 pm

So exciting! I love old barns, too. Well, come to think of it, new barns are great, as well. Nice project!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles July 25, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Oooooo…yay! I love barns AND this project – so excited to watch this unfold!

Jeanette July 25, 2011 at 9:51 am

Debra, what a fun idea! There aren’t any barns near me, but I’ll be on the look out when we go on vacation later this summer. Love this patchwork barn you took a picture of!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme July 25, 2011 at 9:18 am

I love barns! I grew up on a farm and always loved playing in and just being around the barns. Some were big and full of animals and some were smaller and held equipment and tools. The best time to be in the barn, though, was when it was raining – just listening to the sound of the rain on the tin roof made everything seem right with the world.

Kristen July 25, 2011 at 1:44 am

That is the COOLEST barn EVER – and this project? AMAZING. What a cool idea, Deb! I can’t wait to see all the barns!

Georgia Pellegrini July 24, 2011 at 11:00 pm

This is such a wonderful project, I love barns too. My dad photographs some amazing ones on his travels.

Brian @ A Thought For Food July 24, 2011 at 9:52 pm

What a fantastic project! The barn is FABULOUS!

cecedon July 24, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I <3 this project! I keep having a discussion with myself while I am on one of my road trips about how I should just pull over and take the picture (of the barn) and stop always being in a hurry to get to the next place. Perhaps your project will be my inspiration. :)

Kathleen July 24, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I don’t have a Flickr acct either. Yikes! I’ll get it together someday! I adore old barns. My grandma used to photograph old barns in Southern CA (there used to be a lot) then paint them. I wish I had one of those paintings!

cookbook queen July 24, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Deb!!

Completely amazing. The barn, the photo, the Flickr account, the calendar, everything. You have the best ideas ever.

And I love this barn.

And you.

Robyn | Add a Pinch July 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I LOVE this idea! How fun! I can’t wait to see all of the gorgeous barns. I, too have a love of barns with quiet a few coffee table books dedicated to those beautiful buildings. {See, I KNOW we should be neighbors now!}

Amanda July 24, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Great idea!! Just signed up. I have about 57 barns within a 3 mile radius of my house! :)

Amy | She Wears Many Hats July 24, 2011 at 12:05 pm

How fun y’all! Can’t wait to see all the entries and maybe add some myself.

bunkycooks July 24, 2011 at 11:45 am

Very fun project! I like the barn in this post. Gotta love the roof. :) There are lots of barns in our neck of the woods, maybe we will join you.

Tickled Red July 24, 2011 at 11:36 am

Oh Deb! What a great idea!! :) I’m off to scrounge up photos of our family’s old barn. My aunts had it torn down a few years back, otherwise I would take a new one for you. Happy Sunday to you my friend.

foodwanderings July 24, 2011 at 10:48 am

Of course I got a barn obsessions very careful to say addictions with everything that happened this weekend and in the past. Couldn’t sleep last night because of all the disasters, Norway, Amy W., and more, This is an uplifting great project and I hope my lens will be good enough to take good shots. Wonderful intiative and like the disclaimer of no one making any profit. and yay for charity!

Jun Belen July 24, 2011 at 10:45 am

Brilliant idea!

Karene1953 August 6, 2011 at 6:31 am

I love barns and this project is awesome.