THE PROFESSOR’S SHANDY

Summer Shandy

by The Professor on June 24, 2011

Musical pairing – Summer Wind by Madeleine Peyroux

I don’t remember why or when I started making this beer cocktail, but the Shandy has become my summer staple when the temperature rises in Indiana.

I’ve seen versions with ginger ale, lemonade, and even sparkling water.  But for me, there are plenty of bubbles from the beer alone.  This version is so simple, but doesn’t lack in the flavor department.  I prefer a Wheat Ale, and our locally brewed Upland Wheat Ale from the Upland Brewing Company in Bloomington, Indiana is the perfect choice.  (Debra and I actually visited with Upland’s brew master, Caleb Staton, and will share a video about him and the brewery in a week or two.)

You’ll see pre-mixed versions of the Shandy on grocery store shelves, but don’t be fooled.  There is nothing like fresh squeezed lemon simple syrup, and it really only takes a few minutes to make.

I’m sure there are some guys out there that couldn’t fathom putting lemon and ice in their beer.  But to this guy, it’s the perfect summer accompaniment.

Looking for more to cheer about? More adult summer beverages from around the web!

Adult Frozen Strawberry Lemonade
Moon Safari
Pineapple-Ginger Agua Fresca
Strawberry Mojito
Tickled Pink Tropical Island Iced Tea

© 2011, The Professor. All rights reserved.

Kim July 1, 2011 at 11:28 am

Ahhh…. we LOVE Madeleine Peyroux!

And the shandy does look nice and refreshing; I’ll pass this off to the Mr. the next time we need a cool summer drink. After all, we STILL have those lemons hanging off the tree. STILL!

Have a great weekend, guys!

Rockingrandma July 1, 2011 at 2:39 am

Hello from Southern Indiana. Wow, I bet this would be awesome with Blue Moon! I have a Shandi party every day…my granddaughter’s name is Shandi…like the KISS song.

Shaina June 27, 2011 at 9:53 am

I have never considered making my own shandy. I’m certain this puts all those pre-mixed brands to shame.

bridget {bake at 350} June 26, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I think this is a must try! Thank you!!!

Cooks_Books June 26, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Beer is my drink of choice. But I’ve never made a shandy. Time to change that! Question: will the lemon simple syrup keep a while (couple days?) in the refrigerator?

The Professor June 26, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Yes – that’s the beauty of having lemon simple syrup on hand all summer; in fact, use it to sweeten tea (if you like sweet tea) or muddle a bit of lemon verbena or mint and you can use it in a multitude of cocktails, dress fruit salads or glaze fancy fruit tarts!

Cooks_Books June 26, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Excellent! I’m going to make up a batch today. Thanks for the extra suggestions too.

Cookin' Canuck June 25, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I adore a good shandy, but haven’t had one for years. This would be perfect made with my favorite hefeweizen.

Brian @ A Thought For Food June 25, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I was skeptical the first time I had a beer cocktail, but fell in love after my first sip. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Amy | She Wears Many Hats June 24, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Totally craving this now. Why are we not neighbors my friend? We could have a Shandy party.

Aggie June 24, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Hooray for shandies! (is that how you would even spell the plural?) I agree no need for the extra bubbles, the beer is good enough! Thanks for sharing Prof! :)

Barbara | Creative Culinary June 24, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I’m not a big beer drinker but I think this might be something right up my ‘I don’t drink beer’ alley! Looks much more cool and refreshing to me.

bunkycooks June 24, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Real men do drink lemon with their beer! This looks mighty refreshing to me! :)