SKILLET BAKED EGGS

Post image for SKILLET BAKED EGGS

by Debra on April 13, 2011

Musical pairing – The Way I Am by Ingrid Michaelson

This will be one of those short and sweet posts because a couple of months ago, I promised the egg dish to these biscuits and now I’m going to fulfill that promise! If you’ve been reading Smith Bites for a while, you’ll know that we are big, big fans of Virginia Willis and her recipes; in fact, we’re on the list to receive her ‘Southern Saturdays’ by email which is where this particular egg dish comes from.

We’ve made this recipe more than a few times here at home and thought it would be the perfect Saturday morning breakfast at our recent Go Savor Retreat in Savannah last month. Simply set out a variety of omelette-like ingredients and let folks pick and choose what they like: some type of leafy green (we used spinach but kale or broccoli works terrifically too), mushrooms, baby grape tomatoes, some type of cheese (thank you to Jarlsberg, one of our sponsors!), your favorite herb and then if you like, some sort of cooked meat like bacon lardons, sausage crumbles or a bit of diced country ham all work well here. Add a tablespoon of cream, a tablespoon or two of cheese, a pinch of salt and pepper, place your ingredients into individual dishes (Lodge donated cute individual cast iron pans – but you can use any oven-proof single serving dish!) and you’re ready to bake them off. Of course, we lucked out in the egg department as Robyn has chickens so our eggs came straight from the farm less than 48 hours before we ate them!

The point is, you can make these with ingredients left over from last night’s dinner if you wish . . . the world is your oyster as they say . . . ‘Skillet Baked Eggs or Ouefs en Cocotte’ as Virginia would say . . . ‘We love these’ is what everyone else will say . . .

Perfect for Easter, Mother’s Day, a lazy Sunday morning or even whenever there’s any type of gathering when you want to feed a crowd!

Be sure to head over to Go Savor and take a peek at the video piece we put together from our retreat weekend – and stay tuned for details on our next Go Savor adventure!

You can find the recipe on Virginia’s site; and don’t miss the opportunity to sign up for her ‘Southern Saturdays’ and to check out all her other fabulous recipes – serious Southern goodness!

More Go Savor Savannah Recaps:

Chris – Mele Cotte
Gwen – Bunkycooks
Julie – The Little Kitchen
Shari – Tickled Red

sophistimom April 21, 2011 at 11:44 pm

This looks like the breakfast of dreams. And that shot of the eggs is beautiful.

Nancy@acommunaltable April 18, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Ah, I love these kinds of egg dishes – just posted a similar one – they are so simple and so darn tasty!!! So cute in the little skillets!

Elle April 17, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I’ve been meaning to make baked eggs, but I always forget on Sundays. These look absolutely fabulous!

Lana April 15, 2011 at 2:56 am

I loved the video! You all look so genuinely happy to be there, to get to know each other, to learn, and teach. I was momentarily transported to Savannah (BTW, I love that city!)
I have a couple of extremely busy weeks ahead at my odious job, and this recipe could be a salvation:) Unfortunately, my spoiled girls will not be able to get their individual baked eggs (I do not have the small, cute, cast iron pans:), but I am sure that they would love eggs for dinner.

Feast on the Cheap April 14, 2011 at 9:32 pm

The perfect dish for that cast iron skillet. Looks wonderful!

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate April 14, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Virginia is wonderful and I can’t wait for her new book Basic to Brilliant Y’all! I also REALLY like your cast iron skillets, the recipe looks good too but it is the skillets I’m drooling over. OK… that and the fresh chicken eggs….. OK… just give me the reality of any of your pictures, they are great.

Robyn | Add a Pinch April 14, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I’m so ready for another serving of those skillet baked eggs! Can we please have another weekend? I’m so ready to see you guys again!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme April 14, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Delicious egg recipe! And I have a set of miniature Lodge skillets that this would be perfect for. How fun.

I love Virginia Willis, too. I met her in January at the FoodBlogSouth conference in Birmingham and found out that we grew up not far from each other. Explains a lot of why her early food and experiences and mine are so similar.

Maria April 14, 2011 at 10:48 am

Love your jazzed up eggs!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. April 14, 2011 at 9:23 am

This looks fabulous!!

Jamie April 14, 2011 at 8:32 am

Mmmm/First of all LOVED the video on Go Savor! Second, this is a wonderful egg dish, one that I would make for dinner. I love all of those flavors together. And gorgeous eggs! I love the colors!

TidyMom April 14, 2011 at 8:26 am

Oh Deb this is gorgeous!! I’ve made eggs two new ways already this week….I can’t wait to try this one soon too!! Thanks for sharing!

Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food April 14, 2011 at 7:49 am

This would be a perfect quick weeknight dinner for us. I’ve still got a few broccoli spears and tomatoes in the garden — starting to suffer in our “Spring” heat — that would be perfect here. Fab photos, as always!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen April 14, 2011 at 12:59 am

I love Virginia Willis too, what a great southern lady! I am going to make this asap. If I wasn’t in the midst of remodeling my kitchen I would be in there right now trying this out!

Shaina April 13, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Hello, gorgeous. Baked eggs are my favorite breakfast food. I have made them more ways than I can count, but I have not tried them in a skillet, a fact that will be remedied by Saturday breakfast, I’m sure.

marla April 13, 2011 at 11:33 pm

The simplicity of these eggs is beyond amazing. Must make these soon, we would love them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. xo

JulieD April 13, 2011 at 11:29 pm

They really were the perfect breakfast! Thanks again! I need to make these for a Sunday brunch here at home soon and those biscuits…yum!

Cookin' Canuck April 13, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I am a big fan of baked egg recipes and this is making me salivate. I can’t wait to hear about the next Go Savor retreat!

Sense of Home April 13, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Love the musical pairing today! These eggs look delicious, they would be good any time of day.

-Brenda

Meredith April 13, 2011 at 8:49 pm

This looks amazing!!!

Brian @ A Thought For Food April 13, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I think we all adore Virginia Willis… so I’m thrilled that you’ve featured this fantastic recipe! What a wonderful dish! Now i’m heading over to check out the recipe.

Ethan April 13, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Ok, first of all, skillet baked eggs, looks so good! Second, I don’t know how I didn’t know about Virginia Willis until recently, but I’m a big fan. She seems to genuine, down to earth and Southern food…well, she’s got me hooked!
Congrats again on the success of Go Savor!

kat April 13, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Oh a perfect weekend breakfast

sippitysup April 13, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Yum. Does that say it?

The Rowdy Chowgirl April 13, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Well, thanks a lot Debra! It’s after 4:00 in the afternoon and I want breakfast NOW! Seriously, this looks insanely good. I see baked eggs in my near future.

sweetlife April 13, 2011 at 5:52 pm

the last shot is divine, a perfect lazy sunday dish!!

sweetlife

Amy | She Wears Many Hats April 13, 2011 at 4:46 pm

So delish! One of the best AND easiest dishes I’ve had in a while.

Maris (In Good Taste) April 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Skillet baked! Amazing and I can’t wait to try

Cookbook Queen April 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Oh Deb, these are gorgeous!!! And so yummy looking.

LOVE this song too…it’s one of my favorites. :)

bridget {bake at 350} April 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm

This looks just fabulous!!! And I LOVE that bowl of eggs!

Kristen April 13, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Oh. My. Gosh…..
Wow, Debra, seriously gorgeous stuff! What a great looking recipe.

Tricia April 13, 2011 at 3:01 pm

This looks AH-MAY-ZING. Can’t wait to try it!!

Elizabeth @ Saffron Lane April 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm

You had me at baked eggs. And, the photo with the somewhat runny yolk just sealed the deal. What a beautiful, cozy recipe.

{ 1 trackback }