FRESH STRAWBERRIES WITH BROWN SUGAR DIP

Post image for FRESH STRAWBERRIES WITH BROWN SUGAR DIP

by Debra on March 21, 2011

Musical pairing – Baby Mine by Alison Krauss

Do you know Amanda? If you don’t, you should! She is the fabulous phenom behind blogs i am baker and i am mommy; this girl is not only talented, she has a heart of gold as is evidenced by this post. She is such an incredible baker and in fact, this cake got Martha Stewart’s attention, then there is this cake and how about these cookies? Talent in spades and a heart of gold . . . just doesn’t get much better than that folks.

So why am I talking about Amanda and you’re looking at photos of strawberries? Well, because Amanda is just about to deliver a baby boy who will join 2 older brothers and an older sister. And try as we might to drag the little man’s name outta Amanda, she’s not telling . . . well alrighty then . . . We would love nothing better than to get together and give her a shower, but living in different parts of the country makes it nearly impossible to coordinate; so we’re throwing her a surprise virtual baby shower . . . SURPRISE AMANDA!!!

Knowing Amanda, she will be thrilled, touched, embarrassed and a little verkelmpt but that’s ok . . . personally, I think all mamas-to-be feel those things . . . sometimes all in the same day . . .  huh. come to think of it, I feel all those things in the same day . . . and no, I am not about to deliver my fourth child . . .

Here’s where the Strawberries with Brown Sugar Dip come in; usually baby showers are all about cakes, cookies and cutie-pie little goodies . . . all perfectly fine. But sometimes I find it’s nice to offer something a little less sugary for those who might enjoy a little bit of fresh fruit . . . and if you’re feeling a little racy, then this ridiculously easy Brown Sugar Dip is just the ticket!

Baby shower, wedding shower, family picnics – any gathering – I’ve taken this dish to many functions and come home with an empty tray – this is always a hit.

Don’t miss the other links below the recipe – there are some mighty fine goodies in those links!!

Congratulations to Amanda and her family on their new addition!

**********

Be sure to check out all the delicious goodies we’re serving at this virtual baby shower and then head on over to Amanda’s blog and wish her well!

1. A Farmgirl’s Dabbles – ‘i am baby’ Mini Cupcakes
  13. She Wears Many Hats – ‘B is for Boy’ Mini Cupcakes
  14. Simple Bites – Spring Crudite, Buttermilk-Black Pepper Dip
  15. Tidy Mom – Ducky Shower Punch
  16. Wenderly – Bundle of Bebe Cards for the Bundle of Joy
  17. What’s Cooking with Kids – Hamentashen Cookies

Kelley April 2, 2011 at 12:23 pm

One of my favorite child hood treats was dipping strawberries into sour cream and then brown sugar (heavy on the brown sugar, of course!). I’ve never thought to put them together but I likey!

Joyti March 30, 2011 at 12:52 pm

What a sweet treat for a baby shower! Yum… And relatively healthy too :)

Elle March 28, 2011 at 9:54 am

So simple and beautiful! And best wishes to Amanda!

Magic of Spice March 25, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Gorgeous photos and love this dip!

Megan March 25, 2011 at 11:19 am

What a sweet shower surprise. Everything looks awesome. I cant wait for fresh Strawberry season. Another month for us. But I would love to serve them with this lovely dip.

carine March 25, 2011 at 8:52 am

Me too is amanda’s fan! I love her blog!

Elizabeth March 23, 2011 at 9:30 am

I love this simple idea!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction March 22, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Oh. My. Word. I think I could the entire bowl of this brown sugar deliciousness! Beautiful!

Aggie March 22, 2011 at 6:54 pm

oh goodness I would love this. I appreciate you offering something a little less on the sweet and sugary side, these strawberries look beautiful and perfect with that dip! I’ve never tried a dip like that before. I will have to make it for my next get together (I always love to a nice fruit platter with a dip!). Love this baby shower!!! So cute!!

My Man's Belly March 22, 2011 at 3:30 pm

This is such a nice change up from the usual chocolate dips for strawberries.

Maria @ Scandifoodie March 22, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Just looking at those gorgeous strawberries make me smile! Delicious dish!

kat March 22, 2011 at 10:15 am

Perfect for a spring party!

Maria March 22, 2011 at 10:04 am

One thing that tastes good to me right now-strawberries! I have been eating them like crazy! I will have to try your dip for an extra special treat!

foodwanderings March 22, 2011 at 9:27 am

This virtual baby shower idea is awesome! This dish is perfect for the shower!! Great job as usual Deb! Shulie

marla March 22, 2011 at 9:10 am

I love the idea of these strawberries with brown sugar dip. I would be all over this light & fresh treat. Love that you gals arranged this virtual shower for Amanda. She is awesome! xo

Jamie March 22, 2011 at 9:06 am

It makes me miss back in the days when I as bringing home a new baby! And what a fun way to serve strawberries! We grew up eating bowls of sliced strawberries topped with sour cream and sugar and I never thought of turning it into a party dip! Yay!

Ethan March 22, 2011 at 12:06 am

what a great idea! I’m sure you all have made Amanda’s day, week and month with this thoughtful idea:)

Shaina March 22, 2011 at 12:03 am

I always go to the fresh fruit first on the buffet table. I would gravitate towards this and maybe even try to steal it all for my own.

I’m honored to be a part of this fabulous group, and I’m so happy we pulled off our surprise shower today.

xo

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen March 21, 2011 at 11:31 pm

What gorgeous photos! Strawberries are my favorite and your dip looks fantastic! Nice of you to make this in honor of Amanda, she is really inspiring and all around awesome!

BrendaB March 21, 2011 at 10:08 pm

The virtual baby shower is so cool, and these strawberries look delish! I have been so impressed with Amanda’s cakes since you posted that Christmas cake on facebook. She is awesomely talented!

Brian @ A Thought For Food March 21, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Did you know that every time I hear Baby Mine I start to cry… yeah, it has me bawling my eyes out every time… and that includes right now as I type this.

But through the tears I can make out a very delicious and refreshing dessert. Looks wonderful!

Feast on the Cheap March 21, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Such a simple, lovely dish!

Adryon March 21, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Your pictures are gorgeous!

I knew a guy who’s way of wooing girls was to invite them over, and have a bowl or strawberries and 2 mini bowls, one with sour cream and one with brown sugar.

He would dip the strawberry in the sour cream first then roll it in the brown sugar…..it was delicious – but I like the way the dip sounds much much better.

Cookin' Canuck March 21, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Amanda is absolutely amazing and I’m so glad all of you are throwing her this virtual shower – so fun! I can’t wait for strawberries to come into our stores and I will certainly try this brown sugar dip.

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 21, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Amanda sure is one lucky mum to be! Your contribution is beautiful and your pictures really pop! Gorgeous!

The Rowdy Chowgirl March 21, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I am one of those people who appreciate something a little less sugary…what a great idea! If only I could get my hands on some real, red, ripe strawberries…

Tickled Red March 21, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Ooooo that looks so good and what a perfect appetizer for a baby shower!! Or for a snack, lunch, midnight…you get my point ;) Gorgeous photo’s!!

Michelle (What's Cooking with Kids) March 21, 2011 at 12:45 pm

This is a recipe that reminds me of my childhood – my grandmother served it at most of our family parties… Thank you for the food memory!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles March 21, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I love strawberries with a little sprinkle of brown sugar – the additional tang of sour cream sounds perfect – can’t wait to try this!!

naomi March 21, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I love the freshness and simplicity of such a gorgeous dish. This would be so great for Sunday brunch too!

Kristen March 21, 2011 at 10:36 am

I love fruit dip… love love love it. What a great treat to bring to the shower!

Wenderly March 21, 2011 at 10:35 am

Those strawberries are SPECTACULAR! WOW! I am droooooooooling all over my keyboard. For realz. Can’t wait to try this mouthwatering sweet dip!

Chef Danielle {CookingClarified} March 21, 2011 at 10:04 am

Wow! I wish I could find strawberries as beautiful as these at my market!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction March 21, 2011 at 10:04 am

Brown sugar dip?! Seriously? It’s like you made it for me! Except that I know that you made it for Amanda. :) I just love all things brown sugar!

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies March 21, 2011 at 10:03 am

You’re right, Deb. This is totally simple, and totally genius. I could go for some of this for breakfast this morning!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen March 21, 2011 at 9:25 am

Fresh fruit is always a welcome addition to a party menu, and I love the idea of making a dip for it too. I’ve never thought to put brown sugar and sour cream together, I’m going to try that with the strawberries I just bought.

Amy | She Wears Many Hats March 21, 2011 at 9:18 am

This is one of my favorite dips for fruit too. So easy, but so perfectly balanced with fruit. YUM! Can’t wait for that first basket of fresh strawberries to dip in this.

Aimee @ Simple Bites March 21, 2011 at 9:15 am

The best treat ever! Your photos are just so stunning. I just might have this for lunch. :)

True Southern Elegance March 21, 2011 at 9:14 am

This virtual baby shower is the most adorable thing I’ve EVER seen!! Thank you for reminding me of the deliciousness of brown sugar dip. I remember 20 years ago, hearing about it, trying it with hesitation and then falling completely in love with it. Haven’t had it in at least 5 years, but I’m doing the Greek Yogurt version today!!

TidyMom March 21, 2011 at 9:04 am

mmmmm! I LOVE fruit dip and this look/sounds delicious Deb!!! I wish we all really could get together!! all this food is incredible!

bridget {bake at 350} March 21, 2011 at 9:01 am

Now, this is where I would be standing at a baby shower….right next to the strawberries with BROWN SUGAR DIP!!! Oh my goodness! Perfection!

Cookbook Queen March 21, 2011 at 9:01 am

Deb, I think that along with the perfect shower food, this looks like the perfect BREAKFAST food. So…I’m here, in my recliner, with a blanket…waiting. You’ll be here soon, right?

Love the post and I’m so glad to have you as a friend!!

Susan Mallery March 21, 2011 at 8:57 am

Oh my goodness, that looks so good! I’ll bet it tastes almost like strawberry cheesecake. I might try it with Splenda brown sugar to make me feel a little less guilty for indulging.

Paula March 21, 2011 at 8:54 am

I can’t think of a more deserving lady to be receiving all the love today through this virtual shower! What a lovely dish you made to bring to it! Amanda certainly has been blessed with the best of friends.

Robyn | Add a Pinch March 21, 2011 at 8:50 am

I absolutely lurve brown sugar dip and now I’m craving it this morning! Guess what I’m making for dessert tonight?!?!

Amanda March 21, 2011 at 7:44 am

Seriously?? I mean… really? You post this amazingly perfect recipe and I just HAPPEN to be craving strawberries and then you go and say such thoughtful and wonderful things?? YOU ARE THE BEST!! I am so, so, so (not enough space to write all my so’s) touched and honored and just could not love you more right now!

THANK YOU sweet girl! Thank you for the perfect gift and the perfect treat and the kindest most sweetest words I could ever read.

YOU ARE AN ANGEL!

Blessings!
Amanda

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen March 21, 2011 at 7:33 am

This is simply gorgeous. I doubt getting such incredibly red and juicy strawberries here but I’m making it anyway. Congrats to Amanda :-) So touching.

notyet100 March 21, 2011 at 6:45 am

will try this and let you know; luved amandas space,thanks for introducing,:-)