52 sundays; february 27, 2011

Post image for 52 sundays; february 27, 2011

by Debra on February 27, 2011

There’s a new man in my life . . .

It all started when I received a box in the mail . . . Heady, fragrant, intoxicating . . . I closed my eyes and was transported immediately somewhere else . . . sun, warmth and sandy beaches . . .

I dreamed of having my very own box of heady, intoxicating sunshiny goodness . . . well actually I dreamed of having a tree that would provide that sunshiny goodness . . .

And lucky for me, I have a Professor who searched high and low until he found just the right one . . .

Introducing . . . ‘Romeo’, my brand new Meyer Lemon Tree . . . a birthday gift from The Professor who also purchased a book, special soil and a water gauge in the hopes that Romeo will provide us with many harvests of Meyer Lemons for years to come. And as you can see from the above photos, Romeo seems to like it here – he has brand new growth and several little baby lemon blossoms have already appeared! We’ll move Romeo outside during the summer where we hope he’ll thrive in the heat and humidity of Indiana.

I am already planning more batches of lemon curd, preserved lemons, lemon pies, lemon bars, lemon sorbetto, lemon pound cake . . . and let’s not forget . . . limoncello!

James February 19, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Gather preserved lemons features frequently in Morroccan cuisine, Yotam Ottolenghi seems the go-to-man, would still like to see more of this.

Kim March 6, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Romeo, oh Romeo….

This is the ONE occasion where bringing a new man into your life to JOIN you and The Professor is a good thing.

You’re going to be SO HAPPY with Romeo!!!!

kellypea March 6, 2011 at 10:32 am

How fabulous! I finally treated myself to one to keep in a pot as well. We do have all that sunshiny goodness weather wise, but I haven’t had the space to plant even a dwarf for quite a long time. Don’t the blossoms smell heavenly?

Debi (Table Talk) March 3, 2011 at 10:19 am

What a romantic gift! I wish I had a green thumb..I can grow herbs and tomatoes—aside from that I am a disaster when it comes to gardening.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 28, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Hope the professor doesn’t mind all the attention romeo will be getting now :-D I’m sure you have enough love to give them both!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme February 28, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I had beautiful Meyer lemon trees in my south Georgia backyard and it nearly broke my heart to move away and leave them a few years ago. Good luck with Romeo! I hope you and he flourish wildly together :-)

Avery February 27, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I am so excited to welcome Romeo to the family!

Lana February 27, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Beautiful little Romeo can join my equally beautiful little Julia (a baby fig tree). Let’s get them betrothed right now! I can just see an abundance of Mediterranean dishes in our future:)

Brian @ A Thought For Food February 27, 2011 at 5:44 pm

What a sweet, unique gift from The Professor! I eagerly await the arrival of your first lemons!

Tracy February 27, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Oh my gosh, I’m so jealous! One of these beauties wouldn’t last through the cold weather in NY, though…and unfortunately I always manage to inadvertently kill every plant we have inside the house. :-P

The Rowdy Chowgirl February 27, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Nice! I hope your future is full of home-grown meyer lemons!

Adryon February 27, 2011 at 3:07 pm

*Gulp* I’ve never had the experience of a Meyer lemon, so I feel really out of the loop.

I will add that onto my 2011 bucket list. I hope Romeo provides you with all the bounty you deserve. Happy Belated Birthday!

Monica February 27, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I love Meyer lemons. I hope Romeo thrives in his new home!

Debra February 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm

oh Monica ~ i didn’t discover Meyer Lemons until last year but now i’m hooked!

foodwanderings February 27, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I couldn’t imagine a better man to add for a threesome!! :) What a wonderful addition!!

Debra February 27, 2011 at 2:53 pm

That cracked me up Shulie!

Maria @ Scandifoodie February 27, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I would LOVE to have one growing on my balcony! I wonder if it would work if I had it growing in a pot… Can’t wait to see the results from your tree! :-) Good luck!

Debra February 27, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Maria ~ we will be keeping Romeo in a pot because he wouldn’t survive outside during the winter months so will be bringing him back in when it turns cold. This particular variety it best in pots!

kim @simpleginger.com February 27, 2011 at 1:15 pm

How exciting! I’m very interested to see how this guy does. I’ve wanted one for a long time, but am a bit worried my only green-ish thumb may kill him! I’m in Colorado though..not nearly as warm and definitely no humidity!

Debra February 27, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Kim ~ they do need warm temps and humidity to thrive; in fact, because our temps are still very cold, Romeo is still inside and we’ve placed a humidifier next to him – he seems to be doing well as is indicated by the new growth we’ve seen since he arrived. I’ve read that these trees will do well inside too – you may find a variety that would work in your climate!

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves February 27, 2011 at 11:47 am

What a sweet and pardon the cliche, gift that keeps on giving! Hope little romeo is with you all for a long time!

Debra February 27, 2011 at 2:58 pm

we do too Bianca – i cannot get enough Meyer Lemons!

{ 1 trackback }