WALKING ON SUNSHINE & MEYER LEMON CURD

Post image for WALKING ON SUNSHINE & MEYER LEMON CURD

by Debra on January 13, 2011

Musical pairing – Walking on Sunshine by Katrina & The Waves

If you saw this post then you’ll know how fortunate I am to have great blogging friends – especially blogging friends who live on the west coast in Southern California and who have Meyer lemon trees growing in their own yard . . . who then gleefully shared her good fortune by shipping boxes of Meyer lemons all over the country sprinkling Meyer lemon fairy dust over those of us covered in snow . . .

I will admit to this being the first time I’ve actually made any kind of curd and in fact, on the rare occasion I bake a cookie with lemon curd (which is usually during the holidays), I’ve always used store-bought . . . gasp! But somehow finding the time (especially during the holidays) to even bake cookies, I feel I am justified . . . seriously, I am not going to break out the cookware in the middle of the holiday season to whip up a batch of lemon curd when all I need is 1/2 cup total.  And I might add that there is some mighty fine ready-made lemon curd on the shelves these days, thank-you-very-much.

Meyer lemons are a precious commodity in these parts; very hard to come by in my local grocery store and on the rare occasion when I can score some? Quite expensive; so it’s usually one specific recipe for the season and I’m done with the Meyer lemons.

I really wanted to make something special with my box of lemons and decided that I could stretch my good fortune of lemony goodness well into the winter months if I made Meyer lemon curd . . . enjoy some now, a jar or two in February and then again in March when I’m ready to ditch the Indiana cold, pack my bags and move in with Kim and Barry in Southern Cal-ih-forn-eye-aye!

This lemon curd is good enough to eat straight from the jar . . . with a spoon . . . and then clean the sides of said jar with your finger . . . not that I have done that or anything . . .

Sherri December 24, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Delicous!
We live in a part of the country that has no Meyers, and when they hit the store, we usually amaze the cashier & anyone in line, when we completely buy them out! Expensive, yes!
We always put most of the lemon peels to work, using them to make the yummiest lemoncello (an infusion with vodka, later to become the Italian Liquor, Meyers are the best for it, we think). A tray or two oflemon juice ice cubes for summer…and the rest into curd.Meyers are the best!
We tried your recipe this year & it is SO good! Curds freeze really well, so we bypass canning, & put the curd into the new screw top, plastic freezer jars. Fresh out of dishwasher, pour curd, when cool, cap & stick in freezer. holds well for at least 3 months- the longest we have ever gone without eating it all up.
This year, some went into thumprint cookies, baked with chopped up pistachios instead of usual walnuts or pecans.
Anyway, thank you so much!

Donna July 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Oh, phooey! I should have read the comments first. You’ve already answered my question about preserving the curd. Thanks.

Donna July 29, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Hi, Bee-u-ti-ful Meyer Lemon Curd! When you said you sealed it in the jars, did you do a water bath, or did you just pour the hot lemon curd into the jars and let the heat seal it (like you do when making jellies or preserves)? Would you please email me your answer? I would love to know as I love lemon curd, but didn’t know it would keep. Also, “which store-bought” lemon curds do you like? I’ve had one that was delicious but can’t remember the name. The rest have been a bit lame–sweet but not much lemon taste.
Thanks so much.

Lauren July 28, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I love all things lemon! I will have to try this sometime [very] soon! Thanks for posting!

Cindy Wheeler February 8, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Hi, and thank you for the recipe. I have looked at many lemon curd recipes and none of them talk of canning (preserving) lemon curd. Did you water bath or pressure cook your curd? Or just kept it in the freezer? Thanks.

Debra February 8, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Hi Cindy ~

I did not pressure cook my jars of lemon curd but I did place them in a water bath for about 5 minutes; however, lemon curd isn’t shelf stable so it’s not something you can leave in jars for any length of time. BUT lemon curd freezes up to 1 year so if you have enough you don’t think you’ll eat in a short period of time, I’d suggest going that route.

Store bought curds have stabilizers in them making them shelf stable – but that’s also why most taste somewhat bitter or acidic.

Hope that helps and thanks so much for coming back and asking the question – that recipe is probably the best curd I’ve ever made!

Cindy Wheeler February 8, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Thank you so much for the information Debra. I can’t wait to make the Lemon Curd this weekend.

Maria @ Scandifoodie January 22, 2011 at 8:01 pm

What a gorgeous colour! Meyer lemons are such a treat, I’d love to scoop this on a thick piece of toast!

Kath January 20, 2011 at 6:33 pm

What a great idea to get the most out of your Meyer lemons! I love any lemon curd, but made with Meyer lemons….mmmm….it must be fabulous!

Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food January 17, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Just gorgeous, Debra, and I’m deeply jealous that your friends send you Meyer lemons, which I haven’t been able to find a local source for and doubt I’ve ever tasted. Someday… or at least I hope so.