52 Sundays; january 9, 2011

Post image for 52 Sundays; january 9, 2011

by Debra on January 9, 2011

When my friend and fellow blogger Kim of Rustic Garden Bistro sent out a tweet this week asking if anyone wanted Meyer Lemons . . . my immediate response was . . . oh heck yes!! I even offered to send her a check covering the postage but she said my money wasn’t good at RG Bistro . . .

Well they arrived today and when The Professor opened the box (I wasn’t expecting them so soon!) he said, ‘nothing makes you feel better than receiving a box of meyer lemons from California . . . sunshine in a box!’ And lemme just tell you, that box, the paper and everything about that box smelled like Meyer Lemons . . . happy sigh . . . as I looked out my window onto a frozen tundra . . .

Aren’t they beautiful?! Meyer Lemons growing in your own yard – a girl can dream, can’t she??? Thank you Kim, I think I’m making lemon curd with these little babies! What would you make with your box of Meyer Lemons?

Jeanne @ CookSister! January 13, 2011 at 9:06 am

oooh, how lovely! I always wondered what the fuss with Meyer lemons was all about until i tasted my first bit of Meyer Lemon curd. EPIPHANY!!!

Kelli January 11, 2011 at 10:58 pm

What a wonderful gift. The photo is beautiful, I can almost smell them!! My Mother-in-law grow them in her So CA backyard…it’s my “happy place” :) So glad I found your site!

Megan January 11, 2011 at 11:24 am

Nothin’ better then a California Meyer lemon!! Lat year I made a white chocolate lemon bar that was awesome. Hmmm, I might have go get me some lemons.

megan @ whatmegansmaking January 11, 2011 at 8:35 am

I’ve never used meyer lemons for anything. You’re really making me feel like I”m missing out! They are so pretty. Can’t wait to see what you come up with :)

Barbara January 10, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I adore Meyer lemons! I make a divine lemon tart with mine…but there are so many other recipes out there. Maybe a basil panna cotta with a lemon topping?

Cookin' Canuck January 10, 2011 at 11:19 am

Absolutely beautiful! My in-laws, who live in California, have a Meyer lemon tree. I was so disappointed that more of them weren’t ripe when we were visiting at Christmas. Maybe we’ll have to ask them to ship some to us.

The Rowdy Chowgirl January 10, 2011 at 12:18 am

Nice! I’ve got marmalade on the brain right now, so I’m wondering if it is possible to make Meyer Lemon Marmalade?

Jeanette January 9, 2011 at 10:01 pm

What gorgeous pictures. I bought some last year and love the color and fragrance!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme January 9, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Lucky you getting all those Meyer lemons! I got a large bag full from a friend at Thanksgiving. I juiced and zested them and froze both to make something wonderful later. I’m thinking maybe sorbet.

kitchenarian January 9, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I can’t think of a more perfect gift to receive on a cold, wintry day.
Beautiful.

Jun Belen January 9, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Gorgeous! I’d make lemon curd, too! Hope you had a lovely weekend!

Foodwanderings January 9, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Lov eMeyer Lemons and what a nice story of friendship too!! The are so delicately fragrant!! Like an expensive natural perfume! btw stumpled!! You didn’t even have to ask:).

kelly January 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Mmm…love Meyers. Lemon curd is a perfect thing to make with them :) And what a cool thing to share.

Paula - bell'alimento January 9, 2011 at 4:46 pm

So jealous ; ) They are gaw-geous.. Me, I’d make Limoncello of course ; )

Amy | She Wears Many Hats January 9, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Beautiful!

For some crazy reason, I’m thinking all things frozen right now, so maybe a sorbet or a meyer lemon with pistachio ice cream?

Anna Johnston January 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm

:) I think receiving bounty from foodie friends to be right up there with Santa Clause, Easter Bunny & all things magical. How fabulous to receive a box of sunshine like this. Awesome.

Bunkycooks January 9, 2011 at 1:23 pm

We just took some photos of our gift package, too (outside in the freezing cold weather while waiting for the ice and snow!!!). There is nothing like a box of Meyer Lemons arriving to bring you back into the sunshine (especially when it comes from a friend!). I may be there with you on the Lemon Curd…still deciding! Have fun! :)

Marly January 9, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Love these pics and am looking forward to seeing what wonderful creations you’ll make from these lemons. Talk about a great way to start out the new year – making lemonade from lemons!

Barbara | Vino Luci Style January 9, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Sob. Mine are lost somewhere. The Post Office assures me they will show up but what if someone who loves Meyer Lemons finds them?

I want to make Meyer Limoncello; if I have any left over than must do a take on lemon bars I want to try with rosemary in the shortbread crust. Then…oh wait, cart before the horse is happening. I have to get them first, right?

Kim is so sweet and generous; and we are lucky. The thought really does count Kim!

Kim at Rustic Garden Bistro January 9, 2011 at 11:46 am

We know we’re lucky. It’s Sunday morning in the middle of January, and we’re staring out the window at another beautiful Southern CA day. :) On the agenda: A trip to the nursery to buy more lettuce and broccoli.

Thank you for offering these lemons a good home; with two trees (and just the two of us), there’s much more than we could ever use.

Happy Sunday to you!

Maria January 9, 2011 at 10:57 am

So bright and cheery! Happy Sunday!

zerrin January 9, 2011 at 10:01 am

These are lovely! Stunning pictures!

fooddreamer January 9, 2011 at 9:58 am

They ARE beautiful! Whatcha gonna do with them???

Shelby January 9, 2011 at 9:57 am

These are beautiful! I have never had opportunity to try them yet!