SUNDAY SUPPERS; CRISP POTATO BITES W/SMOKED SALMON, SOUR CREAM & CHIVES

Post image for SUNDAY SUPPERS; CRISP POTATO BITES W/SMOKED SALMON, SOUR CREAM & CHIVES

by Debra on October 25, 2010

Musical pairing – Perfect Day by Lady Antebellum

Sundays were always what my mother called, ‘Big Meal’ or ‘Big Meat’ days and always included a pot roast, chicken, ham or a meatloaf;  that meant that there would be leftovers to stretch into the next week for lunches and/or a new creation using those leftovers for supper.  I remember my entire family sitting around the rectangular-shaped dining room table in a teeny-tiny house in Walla Walla – no TV, no phone calls allowed (back in the day when phones actually hung on a wall . . .) Dad at one end, mom at the other end, me and one sister on the side nearest the wall and my brother and baby sister across – we were all sandwiched into a space about  10′ by 8′ . . . wow, now that I think about it, it’s a wonder we didn’t kill one another!

My mother canned as much from our vegetable garden as possible and what we didn’t grow, she bought from the local farmers and preserved; those jars would be opened and added to that Sunday table as well.   We talked about our day, what was happening with our friends and what homework needed to be finished by the next morning; in other words, we connected.  Some Sundays we’d head over to my grandparents’ home and have supper there; I always looked forward to those Sundays in particular because it usually meant pot roast with mashed potatoes and ‘grandma’s good gravy.’  It wasn’t until years later that my mother told me it was her gravy, not grandma’s . . . oops . . .

The Professor and I have hosted Sunday Suppers too but its been a while so this past Sunday we joined a few fellow bloggers to participate in a virtual ‘Sunday Supper’ and everyone made dishes from Pam Anderson’s new book, Perfect One-Dish Dinners.  This has become one of my favorite cookbooks on my shelf and especially for those times when company’s coming, why?  Because Pam has written this cookbook with complete menus: appetizers, mains, soups/salads and desserts – no more figuring out ‘what-goes-with-what’ because it’s all there - familiar American dishes, some with a global twist but all recipes use ingredients you’ll probably have on hand or have no trouble finding at your local grocery - she’s even given wine suggestions which has been a great help to moi.

These lovely little Crispy Potato Bites with Smoked Salmon, Sour Cream and Chives were an absolute snap to make, taking about 15 minutes from start to finish and a terrific appetizer for the rest of this meal:  Blue Cheese-Stuffed Beef Tenderloin with Port Sauce, a beautiful green salad with pomegranate, grapefruit and red onion and a Vanilla-Raspberry Trifle for dessert – wouldn’t that make a delicious holiday celebration? Or how about Cassoulet-Style Italian Sausages and White Beans, Tamale Pie, Spicy Chicken Enchiladas Verde, Fresh Tomato-Basil Bread Soup or Casear Salad Flatbread Pizza – we’ve made all of these recipes – easy for every day and perfect to serve friends and family.

What about you?  Do you have memories about Sunday Suppers?

SMITH BITES NOTE: Although these are listed as an appetizer, we’ve had them for breakfast (anything with hash brown potato is fair game, right?) and I think they’d be pretty terrific on a brunch table.  Leave the smoked salmon off and you have a vegetarian version of a mock potato latke!
You can also catch Pam and her lovely daughters Maggy and Sharon over at Three Many Cooks and be sure to check out some of the other dishes that were made during our virtual ‘Sunday Supper!’

© 2010, Debra. All rights reserved.

Kim October 27, 2010 at 12:27 am

What a fun group event!!! Can’t wait till the weekend, when I have enough time to sift through all the Sunday Supper posts. :)

Growing up in a Vietnamese family that’s firmly rooted in eating as a family, I believe EVERY supper was a “Sunday Supper.” I think the first time I ate out for dinner without my family, I was in high school. (Wow, I’m not sure how I survived adolescence as the Asian geek.) At any rate, “Sunday Suppers” was a time for me to tell me parents how the school day was, and for my dad to tell me how rough his work day was. On any given night, dinner was homemade by my mamma, and it was always, always excellent.

Shaina October 27, 2010 at 12:06 am

We are huge smoked salmon fans. I’m going to have to try this one.

My Man's Belly October 26, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Sunday suppers at our house were pizza, but Sunday lunch was the big meal. Every Sunday was grilled steak. My parents bought a side of beef every fall and I think the steaks were the big splurge for us.

These little bites do sound great for a brunch dish.

Monet October 26, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I have so many great Sunday memories. My family would go to this delightful Mexican restaurant after church every Sunday. My sister and I would dance to the band that played in front, and we would eat some amazing fajitas and chili con queso. Eating and spending time with family is a must for me. Thank you for sharing your memories, and this recipe looks just delicious! I can only imagine the flavor explosion in your mouth. I’m going to have to track down that cookbook.

Lori @ RecipeGirl October 26, 2010 at 11:51 am

How wonderful to make these for breakfast! They look delicious.

Barbara October 26, 2010 at 10:21 am

You’re the second person to refer to this cookbook…and both recipes have looked fabulous. Guess it better go on my Amazon wish list!

Sasa October 26, 2010 at 4:22 am

We weren’t a big roast family but my mum always made sure we ate together every night despite being a busy career woman, I definitely credit her for instilling in me a love of food. It’s so cool how your mum canned everything! I’ve become really interested in preserving food since I love using up everything I have. Sunday Suppers sounds like a lovely idea.

Anna Johnston October 26, 2010 at 2:02 am

What a fun idea. Love one dish dinners.

Tickled Red October 25, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Girl do I know what you mean about “Big Meat” meals. Granny only served meat on Sunday’s for the most part and we would all cram into her tiny home on her dinners. I truly miss those days. Great post about your family and lovely recipe darlin’ :)

Paula - bell'alimento October 25, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Lady Antebellum and Crisp Potato Bites w/Salmon! Oh what A perfect pair! {<3 some Lady A, knew I liked you ; ) } xoxo

The Rowdy Chowgirl October 25, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I don’t think I could limit myself to appetizer portions of this deliciousness!

I am definitely a proponent of the big Sunday supper, followed by several days of leftovers and lunches. It’s just so efficient!

Tracy October 25, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I love how quick and easy these are! Definitely need to make these soon!

Nancy-The Sensitive Pantry October 25, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I love the image your story evokes. It was a simpler time…I hope people are creating similar memories with their families today. Simple, good food. Friends and family. Doesn’t get much better.

Amy from She Wears Many Hats October 25, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I’m not a big salmon fan (shhh, don’t tell) but my husband and daughter certainly are and would love this one!

soufflebombay October 25, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Beautiful picture, change the salmon to bacon and I am sold!

Jennifer (Savor) October 25, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Anything that even slightly resembles a potato skin has my vote!

Katie | GoodLife Eats October 25, 2010 at 6:46 pm

These look like perfect little bites to enjoy while you’re waiting on the meal to finish up cooking. Love sour cream and chives with potatoes. Salmon, too? YUM!

RookieMom Heather October 25, 2010 at 6:25 pm

This seems like a totally unique appetizer. Did it taste as good as it looks?

kat October 25, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Oh those are just beautiful!

Wenderly October 25, 2010 at 1:41 pm

These are made with all *of my f-a-v-o-r-i-t-e things*…I’m so making these as soon as I possibly can! Great idea to have them for breakfast and/or brunch!

bunkycooks October 25, 2010 at 1:22 pm

What a fun idea! I am expecting this cookbook to arrive today. I made a version of a dessert recipe from the book and ordered it. :) This is a great quick dish, too.

Michelle (What's Cooking) October 25, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Aaah – I almost made these for our Sunday Supper post too! They look too good to be true. Of course, potato latkes are in my blood, so it’s a given that I’d love these, too. We have people coming over in 2 weeks – and these are on the menu, for sure!

naomi October 25, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I love the smoked salmon! A fifteen minute Sunday supper that looks this good is impressive!
Sunday meals were really the only time my Dad sat with us, so they are extremely memorable to me.

Heather @ Multiply Delicious October 25, 2010 at 11:21 am

What a fabulous Sunday meal and these bites sound amazing. Seeing all these amazing recipes today confirms that I need to get Pam’s cookbook right away. So many delicious recipes to try.
Sunday meals were always important in my house when I was growing up. My favorites would be at my grandmother’s house with all my aunts, uncles, and cousins. It was always fun to get together as a family. Great memories! It also helped that my grandmother made the best biscuits!
Have a great week!

Megan October 25, 2010 at 11:08 am

These look awesome! I’ve been so busy I’ve hardly looked through this cookbook. I’m going to make time this evening! SU’ed

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies October 25, 2010 at 10:51 am

Deb, I just loved reliving your childhood Sunday dinners. Mine were very similar.. though sometimes we nearly *did* kill each other. ;)

RJ Flamingo October 25, 2010 at 10:40 am

Funny – I was just glancing through a bit of this cookbook on Amazon! Nice to know that there’s some IRL experience to go with it – this sounds like something my husband would love!

kitchenarian October 25, 2010 at 10:32 am

Pam Anderson is a great chef. I have met her and she is a lovely lady. She did several cooking classes in my store over the years when I worked for Sur la Table. What a great cookbook choice for your Sunday supper project.
I grew up in the south and Sunday supper was a big deal in our house. Pork tenderloin, lasagne, and a grilled london broil were some of our family favorites. I will definitely be trying this recipe and getting this cookbook. Thanks for the family memories and the inspiration.

Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon October 25, 2010 at 10:21 am

I love reading everyone’s Sunday Supper stories. I’m glad that I’m not the only one with memories of the big Sunday dinner where the tv got turned off and you sat at the dining room table as a family.

maggy@threemanycooks October 25, 2010 at 10:16 am

Absolutely love this, Debra! I keep saying this, but I think this is one of my favorite recipes from the book! So easy, so delicious. Love the creamy, salty, crunchy factor of this appetizer. Thanks for participating. We love ya, girl! xoxo

Maria October 25, 2010 at 10:13 am

We will have to try this one next! So many fabulous recipes!