MARTHA’S SWEET CORN W/BABY BEETS & BASIL

Post image for MARTHA’S SWEET CORN W/BABY BEETS & BASIL

by Debra on August 23, 2010

Musical pairing – The Beat Goes On by Sonny & Cher

Our garden is beginning to wind down but we’re planning to try some cool weather plantings which we’ve never done before so that will be an interesting experiment.  Niece Avery has been dropped off for her first year at Indiana University in Bloomington; The Professor is back on campus for another year, the sun has changed positions, our days are shorter, nights longer and I hear the distinct sound of the crickets.

And if you’re lucky enough to still have beets in your garden, you can make this terrific salad from the August issue of Martha Stewart Living – aren’t the colors just glorious?!  I love the mix of golden and red beets but then to add fresh corn with little snips of basil, even better!  You truly do not need anything else other than to drizzle all of that late summer goodness with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper – eat!  Oh and be sure to have a chunk of bread standing by as you’ll want to sop up the juices at the bottom of the bowl!  Simple, fresh and delicious!

SMITH BITES NOTES: My beets were a bit bigger so they took about 10 minutes longer to cook; to peel, I let the beets cool about 10-15 minutes, then using paper towels, wipe away the outer layer of skin.  Cutting the top off and snipping the bottom makes this process much quicker and easier.  If you don’t use paper towels, be sure to wear gloves – beets stain!

Martha has suggested serving this as a side, which is absolutely fine – but we love beets and corn so much, we made the recipe and served as a main course salad with a nice chunk of fresh bread!

© 2010, Debra. All rights reserved.

Barbara @moderncomfortfood August 30, 2010 at 7:21 am

I’m on holiday now at my family’s organic dairy farm now, and this recipe is perfect for one of our lazy dinners here. We’ve got beautiful Silver Queen corn (which never seems to need much embellishment), beets, and gorgeous basil in the garden now. What a great way to use them! And why do I always forget about Martha as a source of wonderful recipes for fresh produce?

Kim at Rustic Garden Bistro August 29, 2010 at 1:51 pm

What a beautiful burst of color!

We love beets and grow them (red and orange) year round. :-) Your post reminds me that we’ve been neglecting ours… they’re about the size of cantaloupes. :( We really should just start over…

Mr. RGBistro is gonna get right on that!

Happy weekend!

Blue December 24, 2011 at 6:36 am

As Charlie Sheen says, this atcrile is “WINNING!”

Brian @ A Thought For Food August 27, 2010 at 4:50 pm

A beautiful, hearty salad! I love it! We have the beets and the basil from our CSA… might have to pick up some corn so I can make it.

Avery August 27, 2010 at 10:36 am

This looks so beautiful! I wish I had a better kitchen in my dorm– as it is I don’t even have an oven unless I want to go cook in the basement!

Marly August 26, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Love this recipe and the pics. And hey, did you do something different with your hair? New color? Maybe you changed your lipstick? Something looks definitely different…and I LIKE it!

Chef Dennis August 26, 2010 at 10:04 am

what a gorgeous salad, your image and those colours are amazing! I will have to look for those baby beets at the market!

Barbara August 26, 2010 at 8:56 am

We love beets at my house. And that photo is a gem. Those colors! What a super recipe….can’t wait to try it!

Jenny August 25, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Good lord! Look at those colors!

Alison August 25, 2010 at 10:03 am

This looks so fresh, flavorful and colorful!

Anna Johnston August 24, 2010 at 10:46 pm

This is such a colourful, gorgeous & stunning looking little salad isn’t it. So simple too. I have all those ingredients and I’m thinking I’ll include this in this weeks family dinner, its beautiful in its simplicity. Thanks

merry jennifer August 24, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I think I love everything about this dish and I haven’t even tasted it yet. Beets, basil, corn…can’t think of anything better.

Marla (family fresh cooking) August 24, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Your beet salad looks so beautiful. I am getting very excited for Fall flavors: that and winter are my favorite time of year. Basil is a great addition :)

The Rowdy Chowgirl August 24, 2010 at 11:48 am

Debra-Love the new look of your site…and the salad is so beautiful I can’t stop looking at it. I’ll be interested to hear more about your cool weather crops..kale?

Tracy August 24, 2010 at 9:41 am

This really does look fresh and delicious! I have been avoiding beets at my CSA, but this salad makes me want to get as many as I can so I can make this!

Nancy @ TheSensitivePantry August 24, 2010 at 8:02 am

I love all these ingredients. It never occurred to me to combine them in a salad. I hope I get some corn in my CSA pick up today.

Monet August 24, 2010 at 12:16 am

The colors are gorgeous…I wish it was beginning to feel a bit more like fall around these parts (hot, hot texas) but I love that there are still so many summer fruits and veggies at the market. This looks like a winner!

maggy@threemanycooks.com August 23, 2010 at 9:27 pm

LOVE this! It looks so delicious. Love the corn and beet together. YUMMY.