DR. DOM CARISTI & AFFOGATO – NOT YOUR AVERAGE CUP OF JOE

by Debra on July 19, 2010

Dr. Dom Caristi

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN – Smith Bites Interview with Dr. Dom Caristi

I recently had the pleasure of sitting down for a chat with Dr. Dom Caristi, one of The Professor’s colleagues at Ball State University; Dom and his wife, Kim are also good friends of ours and they fed us a wonderful dinner that evening.  I asked Dom to share his experiences about his Italian heritage and what he observed while teaching in Macerata (MAH-chuh-RAH-tuh), Italy in 2008.  I do hope you’ll take the time to listen – Dom is both entertaining and knowledgeable about the food culture in Italy – he has some great stories to tell!

***********

AFFOGATO (AH-foh-GAH-toh)

Definition: Drowned; a scoop of vanilla ice cream or Gelato topped with a shot of espresso (eh-SPREH-soh – NOTE:  There is no ‘X’ in ‘espresso’!). Some variations include a shot of Amaretto or other liqueur.

Make one of these as they’re easy-peasy not to mention, delicious; but do take the time to sit and enjoy.  Don’t answer the phone.  Don’t answer emails.  Don’t text and sip.  And remember – you won’t grow old while sitting at an Italian table . . .

Mangia!

© 2010, Debra. All rights reserved.

Jamie January 17, 2011 at 5:34 am

Glad you posted the link to this over on Educated Palate because Affogato al Caffé is one of my favorite things. We lived in Italy for 7 years and ate out at least once a week and I almost invariably ordered one of these for dessert. So simple yet so absolutely perfect!

steve coon July 23, 2010 at 7:13 am

Dom always has excellent taste…and advice. Very nice article.

I was especially pleased to see our mutual friends Wayne and Ferne Davis enjoying Kim’s hospitality in Italy.

Thanks for the pictures and lessons.

The Rowdy Chowgirl July 22, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Such good advice! When eating anything delicious, I need to remember no phone, no email, no texts!

Marly July 22, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I don’t consume either of those ingredients (espresso or ice cream). Sadly, my body doesn’t tolerate caffeine or dairy. But I can’t help admiring the picture. If I did consume those things, I think I would like them best together. Thanks for your lovely post!

Magic of Spice July 22, 2010 at 10:30 am

Looks and sounds wonderful :)

bunkycooks July 21, 2010 at 5:17 am

I am sure this was a very interesting conversation. It is always fun to hear about other people’s lives, especially while living in another country. Affogato is one of my favorite desserts! Everyone loves always loves that combination. And yes, definitely take time to enjoy it!

Marla July 20, 2010 at 8:15 pm

That is a message I need to read & so agree with. Sometimes we just have to be in the moment enjoying exactly what is in front of us. A creamy/coffee affogato is perfection & worthy of that attention.

Audrey July 20, 2010 at 1:50 pm

That looks amazing! Dom always reminded me of Richard Dreyfuss by the way. Is that weird?

Sasa July 20, 2010 at 11:38 am

I’m going to Italy for 3 weeks on Saturday and I’m gonna eat one of these for you while FINALLY enjoying the feeling of sea salt in my hair ^_^

Isabelle July 20, 2010 at 8:47 am

I looooove affogato. It’s fun to play with different flavours of ice cream… vanilla is classic, but a scoop of chocolate or almond are really nice variations, too.
My dream is to order one of those and eat it on a piazza in Italy somewhere, but for now they still taste pretty damn good in my kitchen in Canada (at least until a long-lost rich uncle surfaces who can send me on an all expenses paid trip to Italy). Sigh. :)

Barbara July 20, 2010 at 8:17 am

Oh my. Affogato? Looks soooo delicious! How did I miss that on my trip to Italy??

Brian @ A Thought For Food July 20, 2010 at 7:29 am

When we’ve run out of milk, I tend to put in a scoop of ice cream in my coffee. :-) Hey, it has sugar and cream… it’s what I’d normally add in.

I love that this is an acceptable way to have espresso… I want to go to Italy so badly!!!

Monet July 19, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I had the opportunity to have an affogato when I went to Italy a few years ago, and now I crave thick creamy ice cream whenever I order a shot of espresso. So delicious!