TAHINI SLAW

Post image for TAHINI SLAW

by Debra on March 3, 2010

Musical pairing -Take a Bow, Madonna

OK boys and girls – here’s a super-dooper, lickety-split, down and dirty recipe that I love so much, I made it twice in one week!  And to quote The Professor, “This slaw ROCKS - my new fav!!”(Notice the CAPS???  Means he likes it, he REALLY likes it!)

Creamy, peanutty, sesame, tart, sweet and salty combined with a big crunch factor – this has such complex flavors – it’s that perfect yin-yang that I’m always looking for in a great recipe!

I made the slaw the first time using a broccoli slaw mix and served it with marinated, grilled salmon – uh-huh! (The salmon recipe is coming soon, promise, as it truly is one of The Professor’s bestest-ever recipes!)  I made the recipe again using shredded cabbage and served it along side a bowl of Shrimp Wonton Soup for dinner one night and then as a main course for lunch during the week. The slaw would also pair nicely with any type of Asian-style BBQ or you can keep it completely vegetarian by serving along side Fried Wontons, Egg Drop Soup, vegetarian pot stickers, etc.

I made a full batch of the dressing but because there are just the two of us, dressed only the amount of salad I served for our meal.  The rest was saved for future salads and as I said, made it twice in one week – YUM!  As for how much sauce?  Stir in a small amount and see where you’re at; add more or less to your liking.  Personally, I’m not a fan of slaw swimming in sauce (or any type of salad swimming in dressing for that matter) so I tend to lean towards the lighter side but you can add a little or a lot – the world is your oyster, baby!  Or in this case, a sesame seed . . .

Do you have a favorite slaw recipe?  Come on, share – Leave me a comment!

© 2010 – 2011, Debra. All rights reserved.

Debra April 4, 2010 at 12:27 pm

It’s such a great salad Patricia – I’m certain you’ll enjoy it!

Patricia April 3, 2010 at 1:24 am

That sounds delicious! I’m going to make it next week for sure. I love sesame oil in anything…

Mom March 30, 2010 at 8:08 pm

hmmmmm – this would make a lovely addition to Easter dinner.

Debra March 29, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Hi Debi – I can’t even tell you how good this is – REALLY! And this recipe will definitely have a regular rotation on our menu this summer! Welcome and hope to see your around often!

Debi(Table Talk) March 29, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I love tahini based dressings, and with the warm weather sneaking up on us, this salad will be perfect. I’m new here–love your blog!

Debra March 20, 2010 at 11:15 am

Tresa ~ Tahini is a sesame see paste that you should be able to find at your regular grocery store either in the ‘international’ section or you might also find it with the ketchup/mayo/mustard area. If you don’t see it, ask a store clerk to help as it’s pretty common these days. It can be a bit pricey but I use Tahini quite a bit so always have it in my fridge. Enjoy and thanks for stopping in!

Tresa Bozell March 20, 2010 at 10:49 am

I have never tried using rice vinegar and I don’t know what “Tahini” is but I am going to try this recipe. What a beautiful picture of the dish.

Ella March 19, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I am getting hungry that sounds delicious.

Kathleen Bower March 13, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I was hoping to find something new and zesty to make this weekend. This is it!